Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Wandy Rodriguez has won four of his past six starts against the Cubs, and has gone 3-1 with a 2.55 ERA since joining the Pirates in July 2012. He should be careful when pitching to Darwin Barney (7 for 22, .693 OPS) and Anthony Rizzo (4 for 13, three RBIs, .708 OPS). Rodriguez has done well against Starlin Castro (5 for 28, .179 slugging percentage).
• Through their first six games, Cubs starting pitchers had a 1.93 ERA, which was tied with the Tigers for the third-best in the majors behind the Braves (1.63) and Brewers (1.64). According to STATS, it is the lowest ERA through six games by Chicago's starters since 1978 (1.88).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Morton scratched from Sunday’s start
- Pirates notebook: Worley raring to go after skipping last start
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Sunday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Saturday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates