Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Wandy Rodriguez has won four of his past six starts against the Cubs, and has gone 3-1 with a 2.55 ERA since joining the Pirates in July 2012. He should be careful when pitching to Darwin Barney (7 for 22, .693 OPS) and Anthony Rizzo (4 for 13, three RBIs, .708 OPS). Rodriguez has done well against Starlin Castro (5 for 28, .179 slugging percentage).
• Through their first six games, Cubs starting pitchers had a 1.93 ERA, which was tied with the Tigers for the third-best in the majors behind the Braves (1.63) and Brewers (1.64). According to STATS, it is the lowest ERA through six games by Chicago's starters since 1978 (1.88).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Improved Tabata rejoins Pirates roster
- Streaking Cubs defeat punchless Pirates, 4-1
- Polanco’s gaffe provides unlikely end to Pirates’ loss to Cubs
- Burnett’s strong start helps Pirates end 4-game skid
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss