Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Wandy Rodriguez has won four of his past six starts against the Cubs, and has gone 3-1 with a 2.55 ERA since joining the Pirates in July 2012. He should be careful when pitching to Darwin Barney (7 for 22, .693 OPS) and Anthony Rizzo (4 for 13, three RBIs, .708 OPS). Rodriguez has done well against Starlin Castro (5 for 28, .179 slugging percentage).
• Through their first six games, Cubs starting pitchers had a 1.93 ERA, which was tied with the Tigers for the third-best in the majors behind the Braves (1.63) and Brewers (1.64). According to STATS, it is the lowest ERA through six games by Chicago's starters since 1978 (1.88).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Pirates notebook: Shortstops Mercer, Simmons effective with contrasting styles
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Burnett makes pitch for All-Star Game in final season
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Guerra finally reaches majors as Scahill goes on DL
- McCutchen’s 1st-inning exit with injury mars Pirates’ victory over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Red Sox, Phillies pitchers could be on Pirates’ radar
- Finally healthy, former 1st-rounder Joe finding his way