Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Wandy Rodriguez has won four of his past six starts against the Cubs, and has gone 3-1 with a 2.55 ERA since joining the Pirates in July 2012. He should be careful when pitching to Darwin Barney (7 for 22, .693 OPS) and Anthony Rizzo (4 for 13, three RBIs, .708 OPS). Rodriguez has done well against Starlin Castro (5 for 28, .179 slugging percentage).
• Through their first six games, Cubs starting pitchers had a 1.93 ERA, which was tied with the Tigers for the third-best in the majors behind the Braves (1.63) and Brewers (1.64). According to STATS, it is the lowest ERA through six games by Chicago's starters since 1978 (1.88).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Despite hometown ties, Walker knows time with Pirates likely nearing end