Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• In his previous start, Brewers RHP Yovani Gallardo threw 109 pitches, including 65 strikes, but did not get a swinging strike. Even so, he blanked the Red Sox on four hits over 62⁄3 innings. “He pitches to contact, and he's got a lot of confidence to throw any pitch at any time,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. Gallardo is 11-4 with a 2.59 ERA in 20 career games vs. the Pirates.
• Going into Friday's game, Pirates closer Jason Grilli had made 17 consecutive scoreless appearances in Milwaukee dating to June 7, 2008. In 19 games overall against the Brewers, Grilli has four saves and a 0.44 ERA.
If you saw Travis Snider's on-field, pregame interview Friday afternoon on MLB Network, you might have wondered whose bright-green socks went past in the background. That was Russell Martin, who walked on his hands behind Snider during the interview.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Moving Alvarez from spot at 3rd base discussed by Pirates