Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• In his previous start, Brewers RHP Yovani Gallardo threw 109 pitches, including 65 strikes, but did not get a swinging strike. Even so, he blanked the Red Sox on four hits over 6 2⁄3 innings. “He pitches to contact, and he's got a lot of confidence to throw any pitch at any time,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. Gallardo is 11-4 with a 2.59 ERA in 20 career games vs. the Pirates.
• Going into Friday's game, Pirates closer Jason Grilli had made 17 consecutive scoreless appearances in Milwaukee dating to June 7, 2008. In 19 games overall against the Brewers, Grilli has four saves and a 0.44 ERA.
If you saw Travis Snider's on-field, pregame interview Friday afternoon on MLB Network, you might have wondered whose bright-green socks went past in the background. That was Russell Martin, who walked on his hands behind Snider during the interview.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal