Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Saturday's game:
• In his previous start, Brewers RHP Yovani Gallardo threw 109 pitches, including 65 strikes, but did not get a swinging strike. Even so, he blanked the Red Sox on four hits over 62⁄3 innings. “He pitches to contact, and he's got a lot of confidence to throw any pitch at any time,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. Gallardo is 11-4 with a 2.59 ERA in 20 career games vs. the Pirates.
• Going into Friday's game, Pirates closer Jason Grilli had made 17 consecutive scoreless appearances in Milwaukee dating to June 7, 2008. In 19 games overall against the Brewers, Grilli has four saves and a 0.44 ERA.
If you saw Travis Snider's on-field, pregame interview Friday afternoon on MLB Network, you might have wondered whose bright-green socks went past in the background. That was Russell Martin, who walked on his hands behind Snider during the interview.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Minor league report: Sadler keeps producing without the hype
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates lacking Hall-worthy arms
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle ‘not going to move the closer’
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants