Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Saturday's game:
• In his previous start, Brewers RHP Yovani Gallardo threw 109 pitches, including 65 strikes, but did not get a swinging strike. Even so, he blanked the Red Sox on four hits over 6 2⁄3 innings. “He pitches to contact, and he's got a lot of confidence to throw any pitch at any time,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. Gallardo is 11-4 with a 2.59 ERA in 20 career games vs. the Pirates.
• Going into Friday's game, Pirates closer Jason Grilli had made 17 consecutive scoreless appearances in Milwaukee dating to June 7, 2008. In 19 games overall against the Brewers, Grilli has four saves and a 0.44 ERA.
If you saw Travis Snider's on-field, pregame interview Friday afternoon on MLB Network, you might have wondered whose bright-green socks went past in the background. That was Russell Martin, who walked on his hands behind Snider during the interview.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria