Breaking down Sunday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Carlos Gomez was moved into the leadoff spot midway through spring training, and it has paid off. Through Friday, Gomez was leading the Brewers with a .386 batting average, 17 hits, nine runs, a .438 OBP and a .705 slugging percentage. He also shared the team lead with three homers.
•Charlie Morton went 2-0 with a 0.57 ERA in three starts last season against the Brewers. One of those starts was shortened to two innings by a two-hour, 20-minute rain delay. In that game, Morton allowed one unearned run and did not return after the rain stopped.
C Tony Sanchez was on the field five hours before game time Saturday to do some extra fielding drills. Sanchez will head back to Triple-A Indianapolis as soon as Chris Stewart is healthy, so the coaching staff wants to get as much hands-on time with him as possible.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighs trio at 1st base
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- CF McCutchen returns to lineup, but Braves blast fast-fading Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Team claims Indians’ Axford off waivers
- Pirates notebook: Cole on track for return to starting rotation
- Pirates notebook: Morton placed on DL; backup infielder Morel recalled
- Pirates’ Locke cleared of game-fixing allegations
- Rossi: Walker’s back another blow to Bucs
- Pirates minor league notebook: Pitcher Heredia finally hitting form