Stats Corner: Pedro adds contact, patience to power game
Pedro Alvarez launched 36 home runs last season, tying Arizona's Paul Goldschmidt for the National League lead and establishing a new single-season franchise record for a Pirates third baseman. Those bombs came at a cost, though, with Alvarez's all-or-nothing approach leading to the second-worst on-base percentage (.296) among hitters going deep at least 30 times.
Alvarez is showing off his power once again as, entering Saturday's game, he paces the Pirates in homers (five) and slugging percentage (.615). But the slugger once known for chasing pitches and racking up strikeouts is displaying an ability to control the strike zone.
In 2013, Alvarez drew walks at a league-average clip (7.9 percent) and stuck out in 30.3 percent of his plate appearances, sixth-highest among qualified batters. But Alvarez has walked just as often as he has whiffed (17.8 percent) this season, working the count and making contact like a Joey Votto clone. With a more polished approach, Alvarez has boosted his OBP to .311 despite enduring some terrible luck on balls put in play (.115 BABIP).
While early-season stats can deceive, Alvarez's strike zone overhaul looks legitimate. Changes in a player's swing and contact rates become meaningful with 50 plate appearances — a mark Alvarez is fast approaching. He's hacking at fewer pitches thrown outside of the strike zone and coming up empty less often when he does let it rip.
Year O-swing Pct. Contact pct.
2010-13 33.3 69.1
2014 26.8 72.6
MLB avg. 30.7 80.2
Alvarez's potential may hinge on whether he can sustain the gains. He managed to post an on-base plus slugging percentage that was 16 percent above average last year despite striking out 3.9 times as often as he walked.
However, no player has maintained that high of an OPS over a career spanning 6,000-plus plate appearances.
David Golebiewski is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Pirates complete sweep of Rockies with comeback win at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Similarity found in Alvarez throwing errors
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Martin’s infectious attitude has helped turn around Pirates’ fortunes