Breaking down Thursday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Thursday's game:
• Edinson Volquez has struggled mightily against two Brewers stars. Center fielder Carlos Gomez has a career .353 average and three homers in 17 at-bats against Volquez. Ryan Braun has three HRs and a .355 average in his career against Volquez. Braun is dealing with a nerve issue in his right thumb but was still able to produce a three-homer game last week at the Phillies.
• Yovani Gallardo has attempted to compensate for a decrease in velocity over the last several years by relying more on a sinking fastball to produce more ground balls early this season. He enters PNC Park with a career-best 53.6 percent ground ball rate. Like the Pirates, the Brewers heavily employ defensive shifts, ideal for ground ball pitchers.
Gaby Sanchez earned his third straight start against a right-handed pitcher Wednesday, perhaps putting an end to what had been a cookie-cutter platoon at first base. Sanchez opened the Reds series with two multi-hit games against RHPs, including a two-homer game in the series opener.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Starting 9: Should Pirates maximize McCutchen window by trading for a star?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Twins, May 20, 2015
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame