Breaking down Thursday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Thursday's game:
• Edinson Volquez has struggled mightily against two Brewers stars. Center fielder Carlos Gomez has a career .353 average and three homers in 17 at-bats against Volquez. Ryan Braun has three HRs and a .355 average in his career against Volquez. Braun is dealing with a nerve issue in his right thumb but was still able to produce a three-homer game last week at the Phillies.
• Yovani Gallardo has attempted to compensate for a decrease in velocity over the last several years by relying more on a sinking fastball to produce more ground balls early this season. He enters PNC Park with a career-best 53.6 percent ground ball rate. Like the Pirates, the Brewers heavily employ defensive shifts, ideal for ground ball pitchers.
Gaby Sanchez earned his third straight start against a right-handed pitcher Wednesday, perhaps putting an end to what had been a cookie-cutter platoon at first base. Sanchez opened the Reds series with two multi-hit games against RHPs, including a two-homer game in the series opener.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Pirates minor league notebook: Streaking Ramirez surpasses Marte’s mark
- Pirates’ all-fields approach showing results
- Biertempfel: One man’s cause to canonize Roberto Clemente
- Monday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Polanco, Puig held out of series opener
- Sunday’s scouting report: Phillies at Pirates