Breaking down Thursday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Thursday's game:
• Edinson Volquez has struggled mightily against two Brewers stars. Center fielder Carlos Gomez has a career .353 average and three homers in 17 at-bats against Volquez. Ryan Braun has three HRs and a .355 average in his career against Volquez. Braun is dealing with a nerve issue in his right thumb but was still able to produce a three-homer game last week at the Phillies.
• Yovani Gallardo has attempted to compensate for a decrease in velocity over the last several years by relying more on a sinking fastball to produce more ground balls early this season. He enters PNC Park with a career-best 53.6 percent ground ball rate. Like the Pirates, the Brewers heavily employ defensive shifts, ideal for ground ball pitchers.
Gaby Sanchez earned his third straight start against a right-handed pitcher Wednesday, perhaps putting an end to what had been a cookie-cutter platoon at first base. Sanchez opened the Reds series with two multi-hit games against RHPs, including a two-homer game in the series opener.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates GM Huntington shifts focus to bullpen help
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude