Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik
Ike Davis has a career .828 OPS against right-handed pitching. That's the key number. Pair that production with Gaby Sanchez‘s excellent numbers against left-handed pitching and the Pirates should have a platoon that effectively gives them above-average production from first base, which was one of their biggest issues entering the season. ... Zach Thornton has put up some big numbers as a reliever at Triple-A, but he's going to be 26 in a few weeks and the Pirates have a surplus of relievers. General manager Neal Huntington indicated the Pirates would like to trade from that surplus.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Pirates’ Axford overcame long odds to reach majors
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Pirates down Cardinals, inch closer in wild-card chase
- Biertempfel: Bucs must balance playing hurt or sitting out
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- McCutchen says he’s not 100 percent, but ‘good enough’ to play
- Pirates minor league notebook: Pitcher Heredia finally hitting form