Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
Pirates reporter TravisSawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• Francisco Liriano dominated the lefty-heavy Reds last season but lost in his last outing in Cincinnati last week, allowing a pivotal two-run homer to lefty slugger Joey Votto. While Liriano was historically good against lefties in 2013, he might want to reconsider challenging Votto with inner-half fastballs; Votto has a career .837 OPS against Liriano.
• The Pirates struggled against a variety of off-speed pitches last season, and Mike Leake throws a slider, changeup and curveball. Leake tied a career high with eight strikeouts in his last start against the Pirates.
Clint Hurdle on Martin Maldonado's slide Friday that injured the lower leg of Jordy Mercer: “It was a hard slide. I don't know his intent. You don't know his intent. People love to speculate on intent.” Hurdle said X-rays of Mercer's high ankle/lower leg were negative. Mercer took infield work Saturday and Sunday but was not in the lineup for a second consecutive game. He pinch hit Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates’ reaction mixed to the news of pitch clock in minor leagues
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Pirates’ voluntary minicamp opens up without Pedro Alvarez