Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
Pirates reporter TravisSawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• Francisco Liriano dominated the lefty-heavy Reds last season but lost in his last outing in Cincinnati last week, allowing a pivotal two-run homer to lefty slugger Joey Votto. While Liriano was historically good against lefties in 2013, he might want to reconsider challenging Votto with inner-half fastballs; Votto has a career .837 OPS against Liriano.
• The Pirates struggled against a variety of off-speed pitches last season, and Mike Leake throws a slider, changeup and curveball. Leake tied a career high with eight strikeouts in his last start against the Pirates.
Clint Hurdle on Martin Maldonado's slide Friday that injured the lower leg of Jordy Mercer: “It was a hard slide. I don't know his intent. You don't know his intent. People love to speculate on intent.” Hurdle said X-rays of Mercer's high ankle/lower leg were negative. Mercer took infield work Saturday and Sunday but was not in the lineup for a second consecutive game. He pinch hit Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Alvarez held out of starting lineup for 3rd straight game
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Pirates’ Morton continues to tinker with hybrid split-changeup
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Dodgers at Pirates
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade