Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
Pirates reporter TravisSawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• Francisco Liriano dominated the lefty-heavy Reds last season but lost in his last outing in Cincinnati last week, allowing a pivotal two-run homer to lefty slugger Joey Votto. While Liriano was historically good against lefties in 2013, he might want to reconsider challenging Votto with inner-half fastballs; Votto has a career .837 OPS against Liriano.
• The Pirates struggled against a variety of off-speed pitches last season, and Mike Leake throws a slider, changeup and curveball. Leake tied a career high with eight strikeouts in his last start against the Pirates.
Clint Hurdle on Martin Maldonado's slide Friday that injured the lower leg of Jordy Mercer: “It was a hard slide. I don't know his intent. You don't know his intent. People love to speculate on intent.” Hurdle said X-rays of Mercer's high ankle/lower leg were negative. Mercer took infield work Saturday and Sunday but was not in the lineup for a second consecutive game. He pinch hit Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates