Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
Pirates reporter TravisSawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• Francisco Liriano dominated the lefty-heavy Reds last season but lost in his last outing in Cincinnati last week, allowing a pivotal two-run homer to lefty slugger Joey Votto. While Liriano was historically good against lefties in 2013, he might want to reconsider challenging Votto with inner-half fastballs; Votto has a career .837 OPS against Liriano.
• The Pirates struggled against a variety of off-speed pitches last season, and Mike Leake throws a slider, changeup and curveball. Leake tied a career high with eight strikeouts in his last start against the Pirates.
Clint Hurdle on Martin Maldonado's slide Friday that injured the lower leg of Jordy Mercer: “It was a hard slide. I don't know his intent. You don't know his intent. People love to speculate on intent.” Hurdle said X-rays of Mercer's high ankle/lower leg were negative. Mercer took infield work Saturday and Sunday but was not in the lineup for a second consecutive game. He pinch hit Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues