Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
Pirates reporterTravisSawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• Francisco Liriano dominated the lefty-heavy Reds last season but lost in his last outing in Cincinnati last week, allowing a pivotal two-run homer to lefty slugger Joey Votto. While Liriano was historically good against lefties in 2013, he might want to reconsider challenging Votto with inner-half fastballs; Votto has a career .837 OPS against Liriano.
• The Pirates struggled against a variety of off-speed pitches last season, and Mike Leake throws a slider, changeup and curveball. Leake tied a career high with eight strikeouts in his last start against the Pirates.
Clint Hurdle on Martin Maldonado's slide Friday that injured the lower leg of Jordy Mercer: “It was a hard slide. I don't know his intent. You don't know his intent. People love to speculate on intent.” Hurdle said X-rays of Mercer's high ankle/lower leg were negative. Mercer took infield work Saturday and Sunday but was not in the lineup for a second consecutive game. He pinch hit Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers