Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
Pirates reporterTravisSawchik's inside look at Monday's game:
• Francisco Liriano dominated the lefty-heavy Reds last season but lost in his last outing in Cincinnati last week, allowing a pivotal two-run homer to lefty slugger Joey Votto. While Liriano was historically good against lefties in 2013, he might want to reconsider challenging Votto with inner-half fastballs; Votto has a career .837 OPS against Liriano.
• The Pirates struggled against a variety of off-speed pitches last season, and Mike Leake throws a slider, changeup and curveball. Leake tied a career high with eight strikeouts in his last start against the Pirates.
Clint Hurdle on Martin Maldonado's slide Friday that injured the lower leg of Jordy Mercer: “It was a hard slide. I don't know his intent. You don't know his intent. People love to speculate on intent.” Hurdle said X-rays of Mercer's high ankle/lower leg were negative. Mercer took infield work Saturday and Sunday but was not in the lineup for a second consecutive game. He pinch hit Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Making splash at MLB trade deadline not always in buyers’ best interest
- Starting 9: Pirates help and the illusion of help
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli cherishes All-Star gift from teammate Burnett
- Pitt football notebook: Boyd returns from monthlong suspension
- Nationals pound Burnett, Pirates
- Pirates hit 3 homers off Scherzer in 7-5 win