Preview of Tuesday's Reds-Pirates game
• 1B Joey Votto and 2B Brandon Phillips have started 800 games together, which Elias says is the most on the right side of the infield for any tandem in Reds history. It's also the second most among active players, behind Phillies 1B Ryan Howard and 2B Chase Utley (959 games). Second place on the Reds' list belongs to 1B Frank McCormick and 2B Lonny Frey, who started 774 games together from 1938-45.
• The Reds won five of their first eight games and batted .297 after Votto moved into the No. 2 spot in the batting order. In 10 games prior to the lineup switch, the Reds went 3-7 and batted .225. Cincinnati is averaging 5.8 runs per game with Votto hitting second. They scored 2.8 runs per game before he moved into that spot.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle declined to say who'll replace Wandy Rodriguez (right knee) in the rotation Thursday. Stolmy Pimentel is one option. Another is Brandon Cumpton, who is slated to pitch Wednesday for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Torn thumb ligament puts Josh Harrison on DL
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback