Preview of Tuesday's Reds-Pirates game
• 1B Joey Votto and 2B Brandon Phillips have started 800 games together, which Elias says is the most on the right side of the infield for any tandem in Reds history. It's also the second most among active players, behind Phillies 1B Ryan Howard and 2B Chase Utley (959 games). Second place on the Reds' list belongs to 1B Frank McCormick and 2B Lonny Frey, who started 774 games together from 1938-45.
• The Reds won five of their first eight games and batted .297 after Votto moved into the No. 2 spot in the batting order. In 10 games prior to the lineup switch, the Reds went 3-7 and batted .225. Cincinnati is averaging 5.8 runs per game with Votto hitting second. They scored 2.8 runs per game before he moved into that spot.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle declined to say who'll replace Wandy Rodriguez (right knee) in the rotation Thursday. Stolmy Pimentel is one option. Another is Brandon Cumpton, who is slated to pitch Wednesday for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pitcher Arrieta, Cubs shut down Pirates in victory at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Liriano shrugs off rain-ruined start
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs Aug. 5, 2015
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds