Preview of Tuesday's Reds-Pirates game
• 1B Joey Votto and 2B Brandon Phillips have started 800 games together, which Elias says is the most on the right side of the infield for any tandem in Reds history. It's also the second most among active players, behind Phillies 1B Ryan Howard and 2B Chase Utley (959 games). Second place on the Reds' list belongs to 1B Frank McCormick and 2B Lonny Frey, who started 774 games together from 1938-45.
• The Reds won five of their first eight games and batted .297 after Votto moved into the No. 2 spot in the batting order. In 10 games prior to the lineup switch, the Reds went 3-7 and batted .225. Cincinnati is averaging 5.8 runs per game with Votto hitting second. They scored 2.8 runs per game before he moved into that spot.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle declined to say who'll replace Wandy Rodriguez (right knee) in the rotation Thursday. Stolmy Pimentel is one option. Another is Brandon Cumpton, who is slated to pitch Wednesday for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene