Preview of Tuesday's Reds-Pirates game
• 1B Joey Votto and 2B Brandon Phillips have started 800 games together, which Elias says is the most on the right side of the infield for any tandem in Reds history. It's also the second most among active players, behind Phillies 1B Ryan Howard and 2B Chase Utley (959 games). Second place on the Reds' list belongs to 1B Frank McCormick and 2B Lonny Frey, who started 774 games together from 1938-45.
• The Reds won five of their first eight games and batted .297 after Votto moved into the No. 2 spot in the batting order. In 10 games prior to the lineup switch, the Reds went 3-7 and batted .225. Cincinnati is averaging 5.8 runs per game with Votto hitting second. They scored 2.8 runs per game before he moved into that spot.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle declined to say who'll replace Wandy Rodriguez (right knee) in the rotation Thursday. Stolmy Pimentel is one option. Another is Brandon Cumpton, who is slated to pitch Wednesday for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Pirates notebook: GM Huntington says team will stretch payroll to retain Martin
- Pirates notebook: Playoff tiebreakers create havoc for Bucs
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost