Preview of Tuesday's Reds-Pirates game
• 1B Joey Votto and 2B Brandon Phillips have started 800 games together, which Elias says is the most on the right side of the infield for any tandem in Reds history. It's also the second most among active players, behind Phillies 1B Ryan Howard and 2B Chase Utley (959 games). Second place on the Reds' list belongs to 1B Frank McCormick and 2B Lonny Frey, who started 774 games together from 1938-45.
• The Reds won five of their first eight games and batted .297 after Votto moved into the No. 2 spot in the batting order. In 10 games prior to the lineup switch, the Reds went 3-7 and batted .225. Cincinnati is averaging 5.8 runs per game with Votto hitting second. They scored 2.8 runs per game before he moved into that spot.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle declined to say who'll replace Wandy Rodriguez (right knee) in the rotation Thursday. Stolmy Pimentel is one option. Another is Brandon Cumpton, who is slated to pitch Wednesday for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Forbes: Pirates worth $900 million
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Reliever Caminero’s chances of making Pirates’ roster heating up
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen says he’s ‘glad’ to be on field
- Pirates notebook: RV is home to pitcher Lincoln for spring training
- Baseball awaits chance to fully delve into Cuba’s talent pool
- Alvarez hopes tweak in mechanics unlocks plate potential
- Spring training breakdown: Orioles 9, Pirates 2
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Rays 6
- Pirates, South Korean star Kang optimistic bat will translate to MLB