Preview of Wednesday's Reds-Pirates game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Alfredo Simon has pitched at least six innings in each of his first three starts for Cincinnati and has not allowed more than one run or five hits in any of them. According to Elias, the only other Reds pitcher to do that was righty Wayne Simpson in 1970. That year, Simpson went 14-3 with a 3.02 ERA and also served up Hank Aaron's 3,000th career hit. Unlike Simpson, Simon is not a rookie. Simon made 99 outings, all in relief, over the past two seasons.
• Reds C Devin Mesoraco, a Punxsutawney native, has gotten a hit in all 10 games in which he's played since coming off the disabled list April 8. It's the longest season-opening hitting streak by a Reds batter since Barry Larkin strung together 12 games in 1995.
Pirates closer Jason Grilli will help unpack a truckload of donated American cheese product on Wednesday morning and dole out grilled cheese sandwiches at the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Time on the bench gets Snider back into Pirates lineup
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Sanchez makes 1st start at first base with Indy
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Harrison’s 5 RBIs help Pirates pound Brewers
- Pirates’ Axford overcame long odds to reach majors
- Pirates minor league notebook: Pitcher Heredia finally hitting form
- Pirates’ losing streak extended to 6 games
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighs trio at 1st base
- Statistically speaking: Pirates, Brewers possess strengths up the middle
- Pirates notebook: Team claims Indians’ Axford off waivers