Preview of Wednesday's Reds-Pirates game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Wednesday's game:
• Alfredo Simon has pitched at least six innings in each of his first three starts for Cincinnati and has not allowed more than one run or five hits in any of them. According to Elias, the only other Reds pitcher to do that was righty Wayne Simpson in 1970. That year, Simpson went 14-3 with a 3.02 ERA and also served up Hank Aaron's 3,000th career hit. Unlike Simpson, Simon is not a rookie. Simon made 99 outings, all in relief, over the past two seasons.
• Reds C Devin Mesoraco, a Punxsutawney native, has gotten a hit in all 10 games in which he's played since coming off the disabled list April 8. It's the longest season-opening hitting streak by a Reds batter since Barry Larkin strung together 12 games in 1995.
Pirates closer Jason Grilli will help unpack a truckload of donated American cheese product on Wednesday morning and dole out grilled cheese sandwiches at the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season