Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Adam Wainwright hyperextended his right knee during his last start but was cleared to pitch against the Pirates. Wainwright has not allowed a run in his past 17 innings. The righty admitted he feels some pain in the knee but only when he fully extends his leg. “The way I pitch, I barely do anything stiff-legged,” Wainwright told mlb.com. “So I'm going to be OK.”
• Edinson Volquez has issued more than one walk in just one of his four starts (he allowed two on April 12 at Milwaukee). His rate of 1.9 walks per nine innings is the best of his career. Volquez had a 4.3 BB/9 IP in 2008, when he finished fourth in Rookie of the Year voting, and 4.1 last season with the Dodgers and Padres.
Tyler Glasnow, the Pirates' No. 3-rated prospect by Baseball America, had a solid debut Friday with High-A Bradenton. The right-hander tossed five shutout innings and struck out six. Glasnow, 20, was a fifth-round pick in 2011. Baseball America rated his fastball as the best in the Pirates' farm system.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Cardinals clip Liriano, Pirates in series opener
- Braves’ error, Sanchez’s sacrifice fly in 9th help Pirates snap long skid
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season