Previewing Tuesday's Pirates-Orioles game
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Charlie Morton doesn't have any pleasant memories about playing the Orioles. In 2011, he was torched for seven runs on eight hits in two innings against the O's at PNC Park. In 2012, while the Pirates were playing a series at Camden Yards, Morton underwent Tommy John surgery. Interleague has been unkind to him, too. Morton is 1-3 with a 6.67 ERA in six starts against AL clubs. His only victory came against the Angles in 2008, when Morton was still with the Braves.
• Nelson Cruz recently had a seven-game stretch in which he produced 16 runs batted in with at least one RBI in each game. According to Elias, that tied the longest runs batted in streak in the majors this season (seven games by Giancarlo Stanton, March 31 to April 6). It also was the Orioles' longest runs batted in streak since Mark Reynolds went seven games in September 2012.
With slugger Chris Davis (oblique) on the DL, Nick Markakis shifted from right field to first base. Catcher Matt Wieters also might get some playing time there. Ryan Flaherty took over at first base Friday after Davis made an early exit from the game aganst the Royals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Gameday: Pirates vs./at Opponent, Month Day, Year
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Pirates sign Harrison to new deal that could stretch to 6 seasons, $50.3M
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Pirates notebook: Kang debut must wait another game
- Bench player Lambo is finding his place in majors with Pirates
- Biertempfel: Reds’ Hamilton presents unique challenge to Pirates pitchers
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Pirates drop opener against Reds on Frazier’s 8th-inning HR
- Pirates’ Harrison crosses another milestone off list