Scouting report for Thursday's Pirates-Orioles doubleheader
• Orioles 3B Manny Machado is expected to make his season debut after being activated from the disabled list. Machado played three games with Single-A Frederick during his rehab stint. Machado blew out his left knee in September while running to first base. In 156 games last season, he batted .283/.314/.432. The Pirates considered drafting Machado with the second overall pick in 2010, but they instead took RHP Jameson Taillon, who is on the mend from Tommy John surgery.
• The Pirates saw plenty of Bud Norris when he was with the Astros from 2009-13. Against Norris, Neil Walker is batting .429 (9 for 21) with a 1.158 OPS. Pedro Alvarez is batting .143 (two hits, although one of them was a homer). Andrew McCutchen has gone .233 with a team-best four RBIs.
This likely will be Brandon Cumpton's final turn in the rotation for a while. LHP Wandy Rodriguez is slated to make a rehab start Thursday with Double-A Altoona. If all goes well, Rodriguez will be activated off the DL next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night