Scouting report for Thursday's Pirates-Orioles doubleheader
• Orioles 3B Manny Machado is expected to make his season debut after being activated from the disabled list. Machado played three games with Single-A Frederick during his rehab stint. Machado blew out his left knee in September while running to first base. In 156 games last season, he batted .283/.314/.432. The Pirates considered drafting Machado with the second overall pick in 2010, but they instead took RHP Jameson Taillon, who is on the mend from Tommy John surgery.
• The Pirates saw plenty of Bud Norris when he was with the Astros from 2009-13. Against Norris, Neil Walker is batting .429 (9 for 21) with a 1.158 OPS. Pedro Alvarez is batting .143 (two hits, although one of them was a homer). Andrew McCutchen has gone .233 with a team-best four RBIs.
This likely will be Brandon Cumpton's final turn in the rotation for a while. LHP Wandy Rodriguez is slated to make a rehab start Thursday with Double-A Altoona. If all goes well, Rodriguez will be activated off the DL next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Nutting expects club to win division title
- The Starting Nine: Silver linings for Alvarez
- Pirates ready to prove they have best outfield in baseball
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang
- Pirates looking at ways to make McCutchen’s off days more productive
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke