Scouting report for Thursday's Pirates-Orioles doubleheader
• Orioles 3B Manny Machado is expected to make his season debut after being activated from the disabled list. Machado played three games with Single-A Frederick during his rehab stint. Machado blew out his left knee in September while running to first base. In 156 games last season, he batted .283/.314/.432. The Pirates considered drafting Machado with the second overall pick in 2010, but they instead took RHP Jameson Taillon, who is on the mend from Tommy John surgery.
• The Pirates saw plenty of Bud Norris when he was with the Astros from 2009-13. Against Norris, Neil Walker is batting .429 (9 for 21) with a 1.158 OPS. Pedro Alvarez is batting .143 (two hits, although one of them was a homer). Andrew McCutchen has gone .233 with a team-best four RBIs.
This likely will be Brandon Cumpton's final turn in the rotation for a while. LHP Wandy Rodriguez is slated to make a rehab start Thursday with Double-A Altoona. If all goes well, Rodriguez will be activated off the DL next week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call
- Sunday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Remaining schedule favorable for Bucs’ postseason hopes
- Bucs’ rally falls short vs. young Cubs
- Friday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Locke has strong outing to lift Pirates over Phillies in series opener