Previewing Friday's Blue Jays-Pirates game
• Welcome back to Pittsburgh, Jose Bautista. The slugger will make his first appearance at PNC Park since being traded for backup C Robinzon Diaz on Aug. 25, 2008. Bautista has hit 176 homers with a .928 OPS since then. Diaz hasn't played in the majors since 2009.
• Brandon Morrow was wild in his last outing, issuing a career-high eight walks in 22⁄3 innings against the Red Sox. With his WHIP up to 1.57, Morrow might be running out of chances to stay in the Blue Jays' rotation. Left-handed hitters are batting .285 with a .743 OPS against Morrow. Righties and lefties are hitting a combined .257 off Morrow with runners on base.
The town of Fort Meade, Fla., is considering placing a statue of Andrew McCutchen along its Martin Luther King Jr. Street. Town leaders want to place the statues to honor influential and noteworthy members of the community, which has a population of 5,800.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Minor league report: Sadler keeps producing without the hype
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Stats Corner: Mercer rediscovers offensive game
- Pirates’ Morton continues to tinker with hybrid split-changeup
- Alvarez held out of starting lineup for 3rd straight game
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates lacking Hall-worthy arms