Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Blue Jays game
• Toronto's biggest liability the past two weeks has been its bullpen. Closer Casey Janssen (oblique) has been out the past month. The bullpen has MLB's fourth-worst WHIP (1.49), the third-worst BB/9 (4.81) and the third-most homers allowed (12). Over the past 15 games, the relievers have a combined 6.61 ERA with seven homers allowed, five blown saves and a 1.68 WHIP.
• Over the first 12 games this season, Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion hit .174 and did not drive in a run. Since then, he's batting .308 (20 for 65) and plated 17 runs in 17 games. Through Friday, he had knocked in a run in six straight games. Encarnacion has hit .342 with 11 homers and a 1.117 OPS in his past 29 interleague games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitcher Arrieta, Cubs shut down Pirates in victory at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Liriano shrugs off rain-ruined start
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs Aug. 5, 2015
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds