Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Blue Jays game
• Toronto's biggest liability the past two weeks has been its bullpen. Closer Casey Janssen (oblique) has been out the past month. The bullpen has MLB's fourth-worst WHIP (1.49), the third-worst BB/9 (4.81) and the third-most homers allowed (12). Over the past 15 games, the relievers have a combined 6.61 ERA with seven homers allowed, five blown saves and a 1.68 WHIP.
• Over the first 12 games this season, Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion hit .174 and did not drive in a run. Since then, he's batting .308 (20 for 65) and plated 17 runs in 17 games. Through Friday, he had knocked in a run in six straight games. Encarnacion has hit .342 with 11 homers and a 1.117 OPS in his past 29 interleague games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli gets 1st career DH start
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Pitchers’ ploys force Kang to adapt
- Liriano dominates former team as Pirates rout White Sox