Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Blue Jays game
• Toronto's biggest liability the past two weeks has been its bullpen. Closer Casey Janssen (oblique) has been out the past month. The bullpen has MLB's fourth-worst WHIP (1.49), the third-worst BB/9 (4.81) and the third-most homers allowed (12). Over the past 15 games, the relievers have a combined 6.61 ERA with seven homers allowed, five blown saves and a 1.68 WHIP.
• Over the first 12 games this season, Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion hit .174 and did not drive in a run. Since then, he's batting .308 (20 for 65) and plated 17 runs in 17 games. Through Friday, he had knocked in a run in six straight games. Encarnacion has hit .342 with 11 homers and a 1.117 OPS in his past 29 interleague games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues
- Biertempfel: In wild-card game, Cole must get call
- Sunday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Bucs’ rally falls short vs. young Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez likely out for rest of regular season
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Phillies
- Saturday’s scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Pitch could be more than change of pace for Cole