Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Blue Jays game
• Toronto's biggest liability the past two weeks has been its bullpen. Closer Casey Janssen (oblique) has been out the past month. The bullpen has MLB's fourth-worst WHIP (1.49), the third-worst BB/9 (4.81) and the third-most homers allowed (12). Over the past 15 games, the relievers have a combined 6.61 ERA with seven homers allowed, five blown saves and a 1.68 WHIP.
• Over the first 12 games this season, Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion hit .174 and did not drive in a run. Since then, he's batting .308 (20 for 65) and plated 17 runs in 17 games. Through Friday, he had knocked in a run in six straight games. Encarnacion has hit .342 with 11 homers and a 1.117 OPS in his past 29 interleague games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- Reliever Caminero’s chances of making Pirates’ roster heating up
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Twins 2