Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Blue Jays game
• Toronto's biggest liability the past two weeks has been its bullpen. Closer Casey Janssen (oblique) has been out the past month. The bullpen has MLB's fourth-worst WHIP (1.49), the third-worst BB/9 (4.81) and the third-most homers allowed (12). Over the past 15 games, the relievers have a combined 6.61 ERA with seven homers allowed, five blown saves and a 1.68 WHIP.
• Over the first 12 games this season, Blue Jays 1B Edwin Encarnacion hit .174 and did not drive in a run. Since then, he's batting .308 (20 for 65) and plated 17 runs in 17 games. Through Friday, he had knocked in a run in six straight games. Encarnacion has hit .342 with 11 homers and a 1.117 OPS in his past 29 interleague games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates lacking Hall-worthy arms
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle ‘not going to move the closer’
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday