Previewing Monday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants CF Angel Pagan homered in the first inning Wednesday and Friday, sitting out the game in between. According to Elias, Pagan is the first Giants player to homer leading off the first inning of two straight games since Dan Gladden in 1985.
• Matt Cain is expected to start Monday despite slicing the tip of his right index finger a few days ago while making a sandwich in the clubhouse kitchen. Against players currently with the Pirates, Cain has held them to a collective .190 batting average and .572 OPS. Only Jordy Mercer and Ike Davis have homered off him. Russell Martin has faced Cain the most (36 at-bats) and has 10 hits (.278), including a triple, with seven walks and five strikeouts.
• Going into the season, online betting site Bovada.com gave the Pirates 28-to-1 odds to win the World Series. After the Pirates went 10-16 in April, those odds changed to 50-to-1
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Pirates agree to terms with pitcher Burnett
- Martin agrees to 5-year, $82 million deal with Blue Jays