Previewing Monday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants CF Angel Pagan homered in the first inning Wednesday and Friday, sitting out the game in between. According to Elias, Pagan is the first Giants player to homer leading off the first inning of two straight games since Dan Gladden in 1985.
• Matt Cain is expected to start Monday despite slicing the tip of his right index finger a few days ago while making a sandwich in the clubhouse kitchen. Against players currently with the Pirates, Cain has held them to a collective .190 batting average and .572 OPS. Only Jordy Mercer and Ike Davis have homered off him. Russell Martin has faced Cain the most (36 at-bats) and has 10 hits (.278), including a triple, with seven walks and five strikeouts.
• Going into the season, online betting site Bovada.com gave the Pirates 28-to-1 odds to win the World Series. After the Pirates went 10-16 in April, those odds changed to 50-to-1
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates grind out extra-inning win against testy Tigers
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Cervelli gets 1st career DH start
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s slides under scrutiny
- Pirates notebook: Red Sox, Phillies pitchers could be on Pirates’ radar
- Pirates notebook: Shortstops Mercer, Simmons effective with contrasting styles