Previewing Monday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants CF Angel Pagan homered in the first inning Wednesday and Friday, sitting out the game in between. According to Elias, Pagan is the first Giants player to homer leading off the first inning of two straight games since Dan Gladden in 1985.
• Matt Cain is expected to start Monday despite slicing the tip of his right index finger a few days ago while making a sandwich in the clubhouse kitchen. Against players currently with the Pirates, Cain has held them to a collective .190 batting average and .572 OPS. Only Jordy Mercer and Ike Davis have homered off him. Russell Martin has faced Cain the most (36 at-bats) and has 10 hits (.278), including a triple, with seven walks and five strikeouts.
• Going into the season, online betting site Bovada.com gave the Pirates 28-to-1 odds to win the World Series. After the Pirates went 10-16 in April, those odds changed to 50-to-1
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League