Previewing Monday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants CF Angel Pagan homered in the first inning Wednesday and Friday, sitting out the game in between. According to Elias, Pagan is the first Giants player to homer leading off the first inning of two straight games since Dan Gladden in 1985.
• Matt Cain is expected to start Monday despite slicing the tip of his right index finger a few days ago while making a sandwich in the clubhouse kitchen. Against players currently with the Pirates, Cain has held them to a collective .190 batting average and .572 OPS. Only Jordy Mercer and Ike Davis have homered off him. Russell Martin has faced Cain the most (36 at-bats) and has 10 hits (.278), including a triple, with seven walks and five strikeouts.
• Going into the season, online betting site Bovada.com gave the Pirates 28-to-1 odds to win the World Series. After the Pirates went 10-16 in April, those odds changed to 50-to-1
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Bumgarner quiets Blackout crowd with 4-hit shutout
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Ex-Pirate Tekulve: PNC Park reception ‘unbelievable’
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Do Pirates have what it takes to end World Series drought?
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Reds