Pirates notebook: Two relievers promoted; Pimentel placed on DL
The Pirates brought up two right-handed relievers from Triple-A Indianapolis on Saturday, recalling Jared Hughes and selecting Vin Mazzaro.
To make room on the roster, the Pirates placed reliever Stolmy Pimentel went on the 15-day disabled list because of right shoulder inflammation. The move is retroactive to Friday. The Pirates also optioned Brandon Cumpton to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Cumpton made two starts in place of the injured Wandy Rodriguez.
The moves give the Pirates eight relievers and four starters. Monday, they must decide whether to activate lefty Rodriguez (right knee) off the DL or bring up lefty Jeff Locke from Indianapolis to start against the San Francisco Giants.
Rodriguez threw prior to Saturday's game, but the Pirates did not have an immediate update on his status.
The addition of Mazzaro fills the last vacancy on the 40-man roster. In six games with Indy, he went 1-0 with two saves and a did not allow a run in 10 2⁄3 innings.
Jason Grilli (oblique) told the Tribune-Review he planned to throw before Saturday's game from flat ground.
The Pirates' injured closer did not have a timetable for his first mound work. Grilli said his oblique has improved.
While much of the focus on the Pirates' Triple-A affiliate has centered on top prospect Gregory Polanco, Andrew Lambo entered Saturday batting .353 with two homers and 12 walks against 21 strikeouts. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said he spoke with Indianapolis manager Dean Treanor prior to Saturday's game.
“The bat has come more into play,” Hurdle said of Lambo. “He's made contact. He's become more offensive. Challenges are what makes life interesting.”
Travis Sawchik and Rob Biertempfel are staff writers for Trib Total Media. Reach Sawchik at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib. Reach Biertempfel at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Pirates notebook: Shortstops Mercer, Simmons effective with contrasting styles
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Burnett makes pitch for All-Star Game in final season
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Guerra finally reaches majors as Scahill goes on DL
- McCutchen’s 1st-inning exit with injury mars Pirates’ victory over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Red Sox, Phillies pitchers could be on Pirates’ radar
- Finally healthy, former 1st-rounder Joe finding his way