Pirates notebook: Two relievers promoted; Pimentel placed on DL
The Pirates brought up two right-handed relievers from Triple-A Indianapolis on Saturday, recalling Jared Hughes and selecting Vin Mazzaro.
To make room on the roster, the Pirates placed reliever Stolmy Pimentel went on the 15-day disabled list because of right shoulder inflammation. The move is retroactive to Friday. The Pirates also optioned Brandon Cumpton to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Cumpton made two starts in place of the injured Wandy Rodriguez.
The moves give the Pirates eight relievers and four starters. Monday, they must decide whether to activate lefty Rodriguez (right knee) off the DL or bring up lefty Jeff Locke from Indianapolis to start against the San Francisco Giants.
Rodriguez threw prior to Saturday's game, but the Pirates did not have an immediate update on his status.
The addition of Mazzaro fills the last vacancy on the 40-man roster. In six games with Indy, he went 1-0 with two saves and a did not allow a run in 102⁄3 innings.
Jason Grilli (oblique) told the Tribune-Review he planned to throw before Saturday's game from flat ground.
The Pirates' injured closer did not have a timetable for his first mound work. Grilli said his oblique has improved.
While much of the focus on the Pirates' Triple-A affiliate has centered on top prospect Gregory Polanco, Andrew Lambo entered Saturday batting .353 with two homers and 12 walks against 21 strikeouts. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said he spoke with Indianapolis manager Dean Treanor prior to Saturday's game.
“The bat has come more into play,” Hurdle said of Lambo. “He's made contact. He's become more offensive. Challenges are what makes life interesting.”
Travis Sawchik and Rob Biertempfel are staff writers for Trib Total Media. Reach Sawchik at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib. Reach Biertempfel at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lambo no longer in limbo with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Wainwright, Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Saturday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Biertempfel: Bucs must balance playing hurt or sitting out
- Friday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates