Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants reliever Jean Machi picked up the win in Monday's 13-inning marathon and improved to 5-0, tops on the team. He has more wins than the Pirates' starting rotation. Machi also has notched more victories in 17 outings this season than he did in his first 59 appearances in the big leagues. Machi pitched in the Pirates' farm system in 2009-10 then signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2011 season.
• Through Monday, Pirates pinch hitters were leading the majors with 13 RBIs and batting .271 (16 for 59). The team's 16 pinch hits ranked second behind the Rockies (17). Monday, the Pirates went 2 for 3 with one RBI off the bench, including a single by Gerrit Cole. It's the second year in a row the Pirates have gotten a pinch hit from a pitcher (Wandy Rodriguez did it April 27, 2013, vs. the Cardinals).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Alvarez held out of starting lineup for 3rd straight game
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Pirates avert sweep with 7-5 victory over Rockies
- Biertempfel: Locke looks toward postseason run
- Minor league report: Sadler keeps producing without the hype
- Pirates’ Morton continues to tinker with hybrid split-changeup
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- For Pirates’ Taillon, ‘the progress is neat to follow’