Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants reliever Jean Machi picked up the win in Monday's 13-inning marathon and improved to 5-0, tops on the team. He has more wins than the Pirates' starting rotation. Machi also has notched more victories in 17 outings this season than he did in his first 59 appearances in the big leagues. Machi pitched in the Pirates' farm system in 2009-10 then signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2011 season.
• Through Monday, Pirates pinch hitters were leading the majors with 13 RBIs and batting .271 (16 for 59). The team's 16 pinch hits ranked second behind the Rockies (17). Monday, the Pirates went 2 for 3 with one RBI off the bench, including a single by Gerrit Cole. It's the second year in a row the Pirates have gotten a pinch hit from a pitcher (Wandy Rodriguez did it April 27, 2013, vs. the Cardinals).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- Pirates notebook: Burnett encouraged by extended simulated game
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Rossi: Revenge is best served now by Pirates