Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants reliever Jean Machi picked up the win in Monday's 13-inning marathon and improved to 5-0, tops on the team. He has more wins than the Pirates' starting rotation. Machi also has notched more victories in 17 outings this season than he did in his first 59 appearances in the big leagues. Machi pitched in the Pirates' farm system in 2009-10 then signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2011 season.
• Through Monday, Pirates pinch hitters were leading the majors with 13 RBIs and batting .271 (16 for 59). The team's 16 pinch hits ranked second behind the Rockies (17). Monday, the Pirates went 2 for 3 with one RBI off the bench, including a single by Gerrit Cole. It's the second year in a row the Pirates have gotten a pinch hit from a pitcher (Wandy Rodriguez did it April 27, 2013, vs. the Cardinals).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- Pirates notebook: Red Sox, Phillies pitchers could be on Pirates’ radar
- McCutchen’s 1st-inning exit with injury mars Pirates’ victory over Braves
- Finally healthy, former 1st-rounder Joe finding his way