Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants reliever Jean Machi picked up the win in Monday's 13-inning marathon and improved to 5-0, tops on the team. He has more wins than the Pirates' starting rotation. Machi also has notched more victories in 17 outings this season than he did in his first 59 appearances in the big leagues. Machi pitched in the Pirates' farm system in 2009-10 then signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2011 season.
• Through Monday, Pirates pinch hitters were leading the majors with 13 RBIs and batting .271 (16 for 59). The team's 16 pinch hits ranked second behind the Rockies (17). Monday, the Pirates went 2 for 3 with one RBI off the bench, including a single by Gerrit Cole. It's the second year in a row the Pirates have gotten a pinch hit from a pitcher (Wandy Rodriguez did it April 27, 2013, vs. the Cardinals).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat