Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants reliever Jean Machi picked up the win in Monday's 13-inning marathon and improved to 5-0, tops on the team. He has more wins than the Pirates' starting rotation. Machi also has notched more victories in 17 outings this season than he did in his first 59 appearances in the big leagues. Machi pitched in the Pirates' farm system in 2009-10 then signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2011 season.
• Through Monday, Pirates pinch hitters were leading the majors with 13 RBIs and batting .271 (16 for 59). The team's 16 pinch hits ranked second behind the Rockies (17). Monday, the Pirates went 2 for 3 with one RBI off the bench, including a single by Gerrit Cole. It's the second year in a row the Pirates have gotten a pinch hit from a pitcher (Wandy Rodriguez did it April 27, 2013, vs. the Cardinals).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez likely out for rest of regular season
- Pirates notebook: Morton to start Tuesday against Red Sox
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Phillies
- Cole pitches Pirates to 7-3 victory over Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Status quo for Morton’s health after latest bullpen session