Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants reliever Jean Machi picked up the win in Monday's 13-inning marathon and improved to 5-0, tops on the team. He has more wins than the Pirates' starting rotation. Machi also has notched more victories in 17 outings this season than he did in his first 59 appearances in the big leagues. Machi pitched in the Pirates' farm system in 2009-10 then signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2011 season.
• Through Monday, Pirates pinch hitters were leading the majors with 13 RBIs and batting .271 (16 for 59). The team's 16 pinch hits ranked second behind the Rockies (17). Monday, the Pirates went 2 for 3 with one RBI off the bench, including a single by Gerrit Cole. It's the second year in a row the Pirates have gotten a pinch hit from a pitcher (Wandy Rodriguez did it April 27, 2013, vs. the Cardinals).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Pirates notebook: Coonelly confident of single-season attendance record
- Minor league notes: Baseball vagabonds improve stock with strong seasons
- Stats Corner: Can Pirates’ Polanco handle the heat in season’s final weeks?
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Sanchez makes 1st start at first base with Indy
- Pirates notebook: Breakout of catching prospect Diaz a pleasant surprise
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Cardinals clip Liriano, Pirates in series opener