Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Giants game
• Giants reliever Jean Machi picked up the win in Monday's 13-inning marathon and improved to 5-0, tops on the team. He has more wins than the Pirates' starting rotation. Machi also has notched more victories in 17 outings this season than he did in his first 59 appearances in the big leagues. Machi pitched in the Pirates' farm system in 2009-10 then signed as a free agent with the Giants before the 2011 season.
• Through Monday, Pirates pinch hitters were leading the majors with 13 RBIs and batting .271 (16 for 59). The team's 16 pinch hits ranked second behind the Rockies (17). Monday, the Pirates went 2 for 3 with one RBI off the bench, including a single by Gerrit Cole. It's the second year in a row the Pirates have gotten a pinch hit from a pitcher (Wandy Rodriguez did it April 27, 2013, vs. the Cardinals).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Pirates standout CF McCutchen no longer needs to carry team
- Photo gallery: Last Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium, Oct. 1, 2000
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015