Previewing Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• After looking like another successful reclamation project undertaken by Ray Searage early on, Edinson Volquez has allowed seven hits and six runs over five innings in each of his last two starts. While Volquez has been hit harder lately, his improved control has remained. Volquez is walking 2.09 batters per nine innings as a Pirate, compared to his 4.6 career mark. What could help Volquez are more strikeouts. Despite similar velocity and swinging-strike rate, Volquez's strikeouts are down in 2014.
• In an era when more pitchers are gravitating toward darting, sinking two-seam fastballs, Cardinals righty Lance Lynn still relies heavily on a four-seam fastball, throwing the 92 mph pitch 60 percent of the time. The Pirates typically hit four-seam fastballs well, owning a collective career .841 OPS against Lynn.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Worley raring to go after skipping last start
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Morton scratched from Sunday’s start
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers