Pirates vs. Brewers preview for Tuesday, May 13
• Brewers reliever Zach Duke gave up a run Sunday against the Yankees, which ended his scoreless appearances string at 14 games. During his streak, the lefty allowed seven hits and three walks and got 18 strikeouts in 131⁄3 innings. In 19 outings overall, Duke has a 1.56 ERA. In eight games against the Pirates in his career, Duke is 1-0 with a 0.71 ERA and a 1.105 WHIP. Duke made his MLB debut with the Pirates in 2005 and left as a free agent after the 2010 season.
• Opponents are batting .219 against Marco Estrada, but nine of the 34 hits are home runs. Over his past 16 starts, dating to last season, he is 5-1 with a 2.74 ERA. Against the Pirates, he is 5-0 with a 2.01 ERA in 12 games (nine starts).
Tuesday will be the first time the Pirates face the Brewers since the teams' on-field brawl on Easter. GM Neal Huntington said the Pirates have put the incident behind them. “You've got to show up and figure out how we can win Tuesday, then focus on doing it again Wednesday and Thursday. Keep playing good, hard baseball.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Braves’ error, Sanchez’s sacrifice fly in 9th help Pirates snap long skid
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighs trio at 1st base
- CF McCutchen returns to lineup, but Braves blast fast-fading Pirates
- Pirates’ McCutchen expects to play Tuesday; Alvarez to start at 1B
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
- Pirates notebook: Axford set to provide more relief
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Nationals
- Pirates notebook: Team claims Indians’ Axford off waivers
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates