Previewing Thursday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Thursday's game:
• Wandy Rodriguez makes his first start since going on the DL with right knee inflammation. After struggling earlier this year at the major league level with decreased velocity, Rodriguez also struggled in his rehab outings posting a 10.38 ERA in two Triple-A starts. Rodriguez has posted a 8.02 ERA over his last three seasons at Miller Park. Ryan Braun has a .367 average and four homers in 49 at-bats vs. Rodriguez.
• Yovani Gallardo has reinvented himself as a pitcher. His strikeouts and velocity are down but his groundball rate is up. Andrew McCutchen has a .326 average and three home runs against Gallardo in his career, one of few Pirates with success against the right-hander.
After severe slugging struggles to begin the season, Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer has four extra-base hits in his last four games.
“The confidence is at a season high,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “He is barreling balls he might have been fouling off earlier.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut by Pirates
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Pirates notebook: Locke the choice to be 5th starter
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 18, Phillies 4
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts