Previewing Thursday's Pirates-Brewers game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Thursday's game:
• Wandy Rodriguez makes his first start since going on the DL with right knee inflammation. After struggling earlier this year at the major league level with decreased velocity, Rodriguez also struggled in his rehab outings posting a 10.38 ERA in two Triple-A starts. Rodriguez has posted a 8.02 ERA over his last three seasons at Miller Park. Ryan Braun has a .367 average and four homers in 49 at-bats vs. Rodriguez.
• Yovani Gallardo has reinvented himself as a pitcher. His strikeouts and velocity are down but his groundball rate is up. Andrew McCutchen has a .326 average and three home runs against Gallardo in his career, one of few Pirates with success against the right-hander.
After severe slugging struggles to begin the season, Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer has four extra-base hits in his last four games.
“The confidence is at a season high,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “He is barreling balls he might have been fouling off earlier.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Power 5 conferences’ paying cost of attendance worries schools large and small
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Ex-Pizza Huts still making dough as other businesses
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Ambridge native attemps to build college baseball coaching career at tiniest of outposts
- Fleury’s relay team struggles in NHL skills competition
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- One killed in Washington Township crash
- Water trucked into fight remote Findlay warehouse fire
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites