Previewing Friday's Pirates-Yankees game
The new Yankee Stadium has ranked as one of the 10 most-HR-prone parks every season since it opened in 2009, according to ESPN's park factors. The park features a short right-field porch, which makes it an ideal setting for Pedro Alvarez and Neil Walker, who entered Thursday tied for the Pirates' lead with eight home runs each.
• Edinson Volquez will have one advantage working for him Friday: the element of the unknown. Volquez has made just one career start against the Yankees. Carlos Beltran leads the Yankees with 17 career at-bats vs. Volquez. Only three Yankees have more than 10 at-bats against Volquez. Volquez's walk rate has improved in 2014 under Ray Searage, who has worked with Volquez on creating a more-efficient path to home plate, but he walked four in his last start against the Cardinals.
• The Pirates last played at the Yankees on June 8-10, 2007, when they were swept in a three-game series.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end