Previewing Sunday's Pirates-Yankees games
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Sunday's games:
• Gerrit Cole demonstrated he might have added another weapon in his last start against Milwaukee when he threw several quality changeups. Cole struck out left-handed Brewers Lyle Overbay and Logan Schafer with changeups that had velocity separation and significant fading action. Cole entered that start throwing changeups at only a 3 percent rate, but catcher Chris Stewart said they elected to use the pitch more often when it showed good life in the pregame bullpen session. The changeup could be needed Sunday as Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann and Mark Teixeira are all threats from the left side of the plate.
• Charlie Morton's groundball rate is down 7 percentage points (55 percent) from his MLB-best rate of a year ago. Morton needs a lively sinker in home run-friendly Yankee Stadium.
Gregory Polanco has shown no signs of cooling off at Triple-A Indianapolis. Over his last 10 games entering Saturday, Polanco is batting .342 with a 1.062 OPS and more walks (8) than strikeouts (6).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Friday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Minor league notes: Baseball vagabonds improve stock with strong seasons
- Pirates notebook: Breakout of catching prospect Diaz a pleasant surprise
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates