Pirates' Nutting to serve on committee selecting MLB's next commissioner
MILWAUKEE — Major League Baseball announced Thursday that Pirates owner Bob Nutting will serve on the committee that will select the next commissioner. Baseball owners are meeting in New York this week.
“It is an honor to join this committee of fellow owners in this historic task, identifying and recommending a candidate to succeed Commissioner Selig,” Nutting said. “It is certainly a high bar to meet as Commissioner Selig, in his more than 20 years in office, has led our game during a period of growth and innovation that has been unprecedented in our great history. I am very much looking forward to the process, which is truly just getting started.”
The seven-member committee will be chaired by St. Louis Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt and also includes Colorado Rockies owner Dick Monfort, Philadelphia Phillies president David Montgomery, Los Angeles Angels owner Arte Moreno, Minnesota Twins CEO Jim Pohlad and Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.
“Our committee will conduct a thorough, discreet process and ultimately will provide guidance to the Executive Council on identifying a successor,” DeWitt said in a statement. “All of the parties involved share the goal of acting in our game's best interests, and thus we will refrain from commenting out of respect for the confidentiality of the process.”
Bud Selig has led baseball since Sept. 9, 1992, when he became interim commissioner. He was elected as baseball's ninth commissioner in 1998. In September, Selig announced his plan to retire after his term expires Jan. 24, 2015.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Statistically speaking: Pirates could punish Cubs’ fly-ball pitchers
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Pitch could be more than change of pace for Cole
- Pirates notebook: Status quo for Morton’s health after latest bullpen session
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa