Pirates' Nutting to serve on committee selecting MLB's next commissioner
MILWAUKEE — Major League Baseball announced Thursday that Pirates owner Bob Nutting will serve on the committee that will select the next commissioner. Baseball owners are meeting in New York this week.
“It is an honor to join this committee of fellow owners in this historic task, identifying and recommending a candidate to succeed Commissioner Selig,” Nutting said. “It is certainly a high bar to meet as Commissioner Selig, in his more than 20 years in office, has led our game during a period of growth and innovation that has been unprecedented in our great history. I am very much looking forward to the process, which is truly just getting started.”
The seven-member committee will be chaired by St. Louis Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt and also includes Colorado Rockies owner Dick Monfort, Philadelphia Phillies president David Montgomery, Los Angeles Angels owner Arte Moreno, Minnesota Twins CEO Jim Pohlad and Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.
“Our committee will conduct a thorough, discreet process and ultimately will provide guidance to the Executive Council on identifying a successor,” DeWitt said in a statement. “All of the parties involved share the goal of acting in our game's best interests, and thus we will refrain from commenting out of respect for the confidentiality of the process.”
Bud Selig has led baseball since Sept. 9, 1992, when he became interim commissioner. He was elected as baseball's ninth commissioner in 1998. In September, Selig announced his plan to retire after his term expires Jan. 24, 2015.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates storm back with late rally to defeat Diamondbacks, 9-4
- Pirates notebook: Cole scratched from rehab start at Indianapolis
- Locke’s difficulties continue thanks to old friends
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Rossi: Buying trust is a must for Pirates
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Statistically speaking: Will Pirates be snake-bitten by sliders?
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit