Previewing Tuesday's Pirates-Orioles game
• The Pirates and Orioles have been involved in plenty of close games so far this season. The Pirates are 13-15 in games decided by either one (11-11) or two (2-4) runs. The Orioles are 14-9 when the margin is either one (10-4) or two (4-5) runs. Last year, half of the Orioles' games were decided by either one (20-31) or two (20-11) runs.
• Zach Britton notched his first save of the season Thursday. He's the first Orioles left-hander to record a save since former Pirates reliever Mike Gonzalez on July 16, 2011. Britton is the 45th left-hander to save a game for the O's. Tippy Martinez is Baltimore's all-time lefty saves leader (105) and is third on the club's all-time list.
The Pirates have a 6-14 road record, which ties them with the Astros, Cubs and Marlins for the fewest road wins in the majors. They are 12-11 at home. A week from Tuesday, the Pirates begin arguably their toughest road trip of the season, a 10-game, coast-to-coast swing vs. the Mets, Dodgers and Padres.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sanchez’s sac fly in 9th gives Pirates win over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Morton hopes to return this season
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle weighs trio at 1st base
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- CF McCutchen returns to lineup, but Braves blast fast-fading Pirates
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Braves at Pirates
- Pirates’ McCutchen expects to play Tuesday; Alvarez to start at 1B
- Pirates’ Locke cleared of game-fixing allegations
- Pirates’ losing streak extended to 6 games
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Tigers
- Pirates minor league notebook: Pitcher Heredia finally hitting form