Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Orioles game
In eight games in the No. 1 spot in the lineup, Josh Harrison has batted .387 (12 for 31). Jose Tabata has hit .296 (8 for 27) in seven games as the leadoff hitter. In the 17 games before the start of this series against the Orioles, Pirates starting leadoff hitters have gone a combined 20 for 62 (.323) with seven doubles, two triples and 10 runs scored.
• Chris Tillman threw 49 pitches in the top of the first inning in his May 1 start against the Pirates in Baltimore. Tillman gave up two runs in the inning on a pair of bases-loaded walks, but the Pirates could not deliver a knockout blow. Tillman yielded three runs in 4 2⁄3 innings. The Pirates blew a 4-0 lead and lost 6-5 on Matt Wieters' walkoff homer in the 10th.
• Smuckers sent Tony Sanchez a cake decorated with Uncrustables sandwiches for his 26th birthday Tuesday. Sanchez's affection for the prepackaged peanut butter and jelly snacks has been a running commentary on Twitter this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Cardinals clinch NL Central by beating Pirates in 2nd game of doubleheader
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cardinals, Sept, 30, 2015