Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Orioles game
In eight games in the No. 1 spot in the lineup, Josh Harrison has batted .387 (12 for 31). Jose Tabata has hit .296 (8 for 27) in seven games as the leadoff hitter. In the 17 games before the start of this series against the Orioles, Pirates starting leadoff hitters have gone a combined 20 for 62 (.323) with seven doubles, two triples and 10 runs scored.
• Chris Tillman threw 49 pitches in the top of the first inning in his May 1 start against the Pirates in Baltimore. Tillman gave up two runs in the inning on a pair of bases-loaded walks, but the Pirates could not deliver a knockout blow. Tillman yielded three runs in 42⁄3 innings. The Pirates blew a 4-0 lead and lost 6-5 on Matt Wieters' walkoff homer in the 10th.
• Smuckers sent Tony Sanchez a cake decorated with Uncrustables sandwiches for his 26th birthday Tuesday. Sanchez's affection for the prepackaged peanut butter and jelly snacks has been a running commentary on Twitter this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Polanco says demotion to Indianapolis helped
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Minor league notes: Baseball vagabonds improve stock with strong seasons
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally