Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Orioles game
In eight games in the No. 1 spot in the lineup, Josh Harrison has batted .387 (12 for 31). Jose Tabata has hit .296 (8 for 27) in seven games as the leadoff hitter. In the 17 games before the start of this series against the Orioles, Pirates starting leadoff hitters have gone a combined 20 for 62 (.323) with seven doubles, two triples and 10 runs scored.
• Chris Tillman threw 49 pitches in the top of the first inning in his May 1 start against the Pirates in Baltimore. Tillman gave up two runs in the inning on a pair of bases-loaded walks, but the Pirates could not deliver a knockout blow. Tillman yielded three runs in 42⁄3 innings. The Pirates blew a 4-0 lead and lost 6-5 on Matt Wieters' walkoff homer in the 10th.
• Smuckers sent Tony Sanchez a cake decorated with Uncrustables sandwiches for his 26th birthday Tuesday. Sanchez's affection for the prepackaged peanut butter and jelly snacks has been a running commentary on Twitter this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Pirates stumble in bid for sweep, lose to Giants, 7-5
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Minor league notebook: Disciplined Hanson back on field
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page