Previewing Wednesday's Pirates-Orioles game
In eight games in the No. 1 spot in the lineup, Josh Harrison has batted .387 (12 for 31). Jose Tabata has hit .296 (8 for 27) in seven games as the leadoff hitter. In the 17 games before the start of this series against the Orioles, Pirates starting leadoff hitters have gone a combined 20 for 62 (.323) with seven doubles, two triples and 10 runs scored.
• Chris Tillman threw 49 pitches in the top of the first inning in his May 1 start against the Pirates in Baltimore. Tillman gave up two runs in the inning on a pair of bases-loaded walks, but the Pirates could not deliver a knockout blow. Tillman yielded three runs in 4 2⁄3 innings. The Pirates blew a 4-0 lead and lost 6-5 on Matt Wieters' walkoff homer in the 10th.
• Smuckers sent Tony Sanchez a cake decorated with Uncrustables sandwiches for his 26th birthday Tuesday. Sanchez's affection for the prepackaged peanut butter and jelly snacks has been a running commentary on Twitter this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders