Thursday's scouting report: Nationals at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Thursday's game:
• Blake Treinen was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse, where he has a 1.96 ERA in six starts, to replace injured Gio Gonzalez (shoulder inflammation) in the Nats' rotation. Treinen made a spot start May 6 and tossed five scoreless innings against the Dodgers. The righty last pitched Friday for Syracuse, so he'll be working on an extra day's rest. Treinen's sinker touches 98 mph and he has a plus curveball.
• The Nationals have been outscored 43-21 in the first inning this season, but hold a 78-41 edge from the seventh inning on. The Nats lead the majors with a plus-37 run differential after the sixth inning, well ahead of the second-place White Sox (plus-29). Six of the Nationals' past eight wins have been comebacks. Their 14 come-from-behind wins are tied with the Brewers, Tigers and White Sox for first in the majors.
Jack Wilson will represent the Pirates at the first-year player draft June 5 at MLB Network's studios in Secaucus, N.J. Wilson is among 29 former All-Stars tabbed to attend the event on behalf of their former teams.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Twins 2
- Hair Cutch: Pirates superstar lops off his locks for charity
- Pirates notebook: Morton’s struggles continue during rough outing versus Astros
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start