Thursday's scouting report: Nationals at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Thursday's game:
• Blake Treinen was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse, where he has a 1.96 ERA in six starts, to replace injured Gio Gonzalez (shoulder inflammation) in the Nats' rotation. Treinen made a spot start May 6 and tossed five scoreless innings against the Dodgers. The righty last pitched Friday for Syracuse, so he'll be working on an extra day's rest. Treinen's sinker touches 98 mph and he has a plus curveball.
• The Nationals have been outscored 43-21 in the first inning this season, but hold a 78-41 edge from the seventh inning on. The Nats lead the majors with a plus-37 run differential after the sixth inning, well ahead of the second-place White Sox (plus-29). Six of the Nationals' past eight wins have been comebacks. Their 14 come-from-behind wins are tied with the Brewers, Tigers and White Sox for first in the majors.
Jack Wilson will represent the Pirates at the first-year player draft June 5 at MLB Network's studios in Secaucus, N.J. Wilson is among 29 former All-Stars tabbed to attend the event on behalf of their former teams.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central