A preview of Friday's Pirates-Nationals game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Friday's game:
• In 56 career at-bats against Jordan Zimmermann, current Pirates hitters have five home runs, including two each by Ike Davis and Andrew McCutchen. As a whole, the Pirates have hit Zimmermann well, producing a .304 batting line and 1.000 OPS. The Pirates have hit well against fastballs in recent years, and Zimmermann throws his fastball, which averages 94 mph on two-thirds of his pitch offerings.
• The winless Charlie Morton has been plagued by the big inning this year, but perhaps he's being bothered by something more significant: a velocity drop. Morton's average fastball is down 1.4 mph from his 2013 average. Morton's two-seamer averaged 92.8 mph last season. It's averaging 91.4 mph this season. Morton also has not shown a velocity increase as the year has gone along.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Cole scratched from rehab start at Indianapolis
- Locke’s difficulties continue thanks to old friends
- Pirates storm back with late rally to defeat Diamondbacks, 9-4
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Pirates’ attempts to bolster roster at deadline a fruitless endeavor
- Rossi: Buying trust is a must for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Marte to begin rehab stint at Triple-A Saturday
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Statistically speaking: Will Pirates be snake-bitten by sliders?
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games