A preview of Friday's Pirates-Nationals game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Friday's game:
• In 56 career at-bats against Jordan Zimmermann, current Pirates hitters have five home runs, including two each by Ike Davis and Andrew McCutchen. As a whole, the Pirates have hit Zimmermann well, producing a .304 batting line and 1.000 OPS. The Pirates have hit well against fastballs in recent years, and Zimmermann throws his fastball, which averages 94 mph on two-thirds of his pitch offerings.
• The winless Charlie Morton has been plagued by the big inning this year, but perhaps he's being bothered by something more significant: a velocity drop. Morton's average fastball is down 1.4 mph from his 2013 average. Morton's two-seamer averaged 92.8 mph last season. It's averaging 91.4 mph this season. Morton also has not shown a velocity increase as the year has gone along.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Pirates to end spring in Philadelphia again, sign Stinson to minor league deal
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Pirates weighing options with Martin
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager