A preview of Friday's Pirates-Nationals game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Friday's game:
• In 56 career at-bats against Jordan Zimmermann, current Pirates hitters have five home runs, including two each by Ike Davis and Andrew McCutchen. As a whole, the Pirates have hit Zimmermann well, producing a .304 batting line and 1.000 OPS. The Pirates have hit well against fastballs in recent years, and Zimmermann throws his fastball, which averages 94 mph on two-thirds of his pitch offerings.
• The winless Charlie Morton has been plagued by the big inning this year, but perhaps he's being bothered by something more significant: a velocity drop. Morton's average fastball is down 1.4 mph from his 2013 average. Morton's two-seamer averaged 92.8 mph last season. It's averaging 91.4 mph this season. Morton also has not shown a velocity increase as the year has gone along.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 1
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?