A preview of Friday's Pirates-Nationals game
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Friday's game:
• In 56 career at-bats against Jordan Zimmermann, current Pirates hitters have five home runs, including two each by Ike Davis and Andrew McCutchen. As a whole, the Pirates have hit Zimmermann well, producing a .304 batting line and 1.000 OPS. The Pirates have hit well against fastballs in recent years, and Zimmermann throws his fastball, which averages 94 mph on two-thirds of his pitch offerings.
• The winless Charlie Morton has been plagued by the big inning this year, but perhaps he's being bothered by something more significant: a velocity drop. Morton's average fastball is down 1.4 mph from his 2013 average. Morton's two-seamer averaged 92.8 mph last season. It's averaging 91.4 mph this season. Morton also has not shown a velocity increase as the year has gone along.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall