Saturday's scouting report: Nationals at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Saturday's game:
• The Gerrit Cole vs. Stephen Strasburg matchup is the NL's first between two pitchers who were No. 1 overall draft picks since Kris Benson (Mets) faced Paul Wilson (Reds) on May 16, 2005, in New York. Strasburg made his debut vs. the Pirates on June 8, 2010, and he is 2-1 with a 2.57 ERA in four career starts against them. Cole beat the Nationals in his only start against them, allowing one run on two hits in seven innings (1.29 ERA).
• The Nationals hit at least one homer in 13 of their first 15 games, but have gone deep in only 15 of 32 games since. Blame the injury bug. During their stretch of reduced power, the Nats have not had sluggers Ryan Zimmerman (0 games), Bryce Harper (9 games, 0 HR), Wilson Ramos (11 games, 0 HR) and Adam LaRoche (18 games, 3 HR) in the lineup on a regular basis.
Manager Clint Hurdle has been asked to speak at Franklin Regional High's commencement service June 6, although plans have not yet been finalized. “It's humbling,” Hurdle said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates are solid at shortstop with the durable Mercer in play
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates notebook: Team wary of Polanco, Marte playing full winter season
- Starkey: Pirates’ priorities should be obvious
- Sound familiar? Pirates enter offseason trying to solidify 1B position
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager