Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Mets
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Monday's game:
• Mets OF Curtis Granderson is batting .324 (24 for 74) with a .409 OBP this month. His five homers in May are tied for fourth most in the NL this month and his 15 RBIs are tied for third most. He hit in five straight games last week, going 9 for 19 (.474).
• Jacob deGrom worked seven innings May 15 in a 1-0 loss vs. the Yankees, the longest debut outing by a Mets pitcher since 1982. Mets pitchers were 0 for 64 at the plate this season until deGrom singled in his first at-bat. The previous Mets player to get a hit in his first MLB at-bat also was a pitcher. Matt Harvey went 2 for 2 on July 26, 2012, vs. the Diamondbacks.
The Pirates' latest road trip clothing theme is “work shirts.” The short-sleeve, button-up shirts have each player's name (or nickname) sewn in script over the left breast pocket. The team wore the shirts and jeans Sunday night for the flight to New York.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale
- Stats speak: Pirates’ patience key vs. Cincy’s Simon, Cueto