Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Mets
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Monday's game:
• Mets OF Curtis Granderson is batting .324 (24 for 74) with a .409 OBP this month. His five homers in May are tied for fourth most in the NL this month and his 15 RBIs are tied for third most. He hit in five straight games last week, going 9 for 19 (.474).
• Jacob deGrom worked seven innings May 15 in a 1-0 loss vs. the Yankees, the longest debut outing by a Mets pitcher since 1982. Mets pitchers were 0 for 64 at the plate this season until deGrom singled in his first at-bat. The previous Mets player to get a hit in his first MLB at-bat also was a pitcher. Matt Harvey went 2 for 2 on July 26, 2012, vs. the Diamondbacks.
The Pirates' latest road trip clothing theme is “work shirts.” The short-sleeve, button-up shirts have each player's name (or nickname) sewn in script over the left breast pocket. The team wore the shirts and jeans Sunday night for the flight to New York.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded