Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Mets
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Monday's game:
• Mets OF Curtis Granderson is batting .324 (24 for 74) with a .409 OBP this month. His five homers in May are tied for fourth most in the NL this month and his 15 RBIs are tied for third most. He hit in five straight games last week, going 9 for 19 (.474).
• Jacob deGrom worked seven innings May 15 in a 1-0 loss vs. the Yankees, the longest debut outing by a Mets pitcher since 1982. Mets pitchers were 0 for 64 at the plate this season until deGrom singled in his first at-bat. The previous Mets player to get a hit in his first MLB at-bat also was a pitcher. Matt Harvey went 2 for 2 on July 26, 2012, vs. the Diamondbacks.
The Pirates' latest road trip clothing theme is “work shirts.” The short-sleeve, button-up shirts have each player's name (or nickname) sewn in script over the left breast pocket. The team wore the shirts and jeans Sunday night for the flight to New York.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job
- Sound familiar? Pirates enter offseason trying to solidify 1B position
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason