Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Dodgers
Josh Beckett, 34, seems to be authoring a turnaround after putting up ERAs of at least 4.65 in three of the past four seasons. His 91.5 mph average fastball velocity is the same as it's been the past two seasons, but his 23.3 percent strikeout rate is the highest it's been since 2008. Surgery to relieve thoracic outlet syndrome ended his season in May last year.
• Pirates reliever Jared Hughes has stranded all 12 of his inherited runners this season. Since the beginning of last year, Hughes has allowed only three of 29 inherited runners to score. This series is a homecoming for Hughes, a 2003 graduate of nearly Santa Margarita High who also pitched at Santa Clara University and Long Beach State.
Pirates RHP Gerrit Cole, who grew up in Southern California and pitched at UCLA, had about 30 friends and family members in the stands Thursday to watch him pitch at Dodger Stadium. It was his second outing in his hometown. Last year, Cole started against the Angels in Anaheim, Calif.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Pirates notebook: Team offered catcher Martin 4-year contract
- Pirates ready to protect top pitching prospects from Rule 5 draft
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates agree to terms with pitcher Burnett
- Martin agrees to 5-year, $82 million deal with Blue Jays