Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Dodgers
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Saturday's game:
• After Hyun-jin Ryu retired the first 21 batters Monday, the Reds found a way to break his stride: put him on base. Ryu reached on an error and eventually scored in a long bottom of the seventh inning. Todd Frazier doubled on the second pitch of the eighth inning to break up Ryu's bid for a perfect game. Ryu got only one more out before turning the game over to the bullpen. Over the first seven innings, Ryu faced a three-ball count against just two batters.
• Brandon Cumpton got a tough draw for his MLB debut last June, facing Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw at PNC Park. Cumpton took a 1-0 lead into the fifth inning but gave up the tying run. Cumpton left the game after allowing three straight hits to start the sixth. The Pirates tied the game in the ninth, but lost 5-3 in 11 innings.
The Sports Xchange reported the Brewers are “committed” to keeping LHP Wei-Chung Wang, whom they got from the Pirates in the Rule 5 Draft, even though he has allowed 15 earned runs in 72⁄3 innings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Friday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Barmes back, gets start at SS
- Pirates down Cardinals, inch closer in wild-card chase
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out