Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Dodgers
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel'sinside look at Saturday's game:
•After Hyun-jin Ryu retired the first 21 batters Monday, the Reds found a way to break his stride: put him on base. Ryu reached on an error and eventually scored in a long bottom of the seventh inning. Todd Frazier doubled on the second pitch of the eighth inning to break up Ryu's bid for a perfect game. Ryu got only one more out before turning the game over to the bullpen. Over the first seven innings, Ryu faced a three-ball count against just two batters.
• Brandon Cumpton got a tough draw for his MLB debut last June, facing Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw at PNC Park. Cumpton took a 1-0 lead into the fifth inning but gave up the tying run. Cumpton left the game after allowing three straight hits to start the sixth. The Pirates tied the game in the ninth, but lost 5-3 in 11 innings.
The Sports Xchange reported the Brewers are “committed” to keeping LHP Wei-Chung Wang, whom they got from the Pirates in the Rule 5 Draft, even though he has allowed 15 earned runs in 7 2⁄3 innings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Pirates pitchers have margin for error, in mphs, and they need it
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 18, 2015
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Pirates get ready to face Brewers pitcher Nelson, hope for better results
- Pirates’ Melancon isn’t worried about drop in velocity