Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Dodgers
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Yasiel Puig will be sorry to see the calendar flip over to June. Puig went into Saturday's game with 42 hits in May, which was one shy of the L.A. Dodgers record for the month, set by Willie Davis in 1971. The other L.A. players with 42 hits in May are Nomar Garciaparra (2006) and Steve Garvey (1974). Also in May, Puig led the NL in average (.404), home runs (eight), on-base percentage (.500) and slugging percentage (.750).
• In his last outing Tuesday vs. the Reds, Zach Greinke gave up three runs on eight hits. He got the win, but it snapped his streak of 22 regular-season starts allowing two or fewer earned runs. The stretch, which is an MLB record, began July 30, 2013. The right-hander is holding opponents to a .240 average overall and 204 with RISP.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, September 5, 2015
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term