Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Dodgers
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Yasiel Puig will be sorry to see the calendar flip over to June. Puig went into Saturday's game with 42 hits in May, which was one shy of the L.A. Dodgers record for the month, set by Willie Davis in 1971. The other L.A. players with 42 hits in May are Nomar Garciaparra (2006) and Steve Garvey (1974). Also in May, Puig led the NL in average (.404), home runs (eight), on-base percentage (.500) and slugging percentage (.750).
• In his last outing Tuesday vs. the Reds, Zach Greinke gave up three runs on eight hits. He got the win, but it snapped his streak of 22 regular-season starts allowing two or fewer earned runs. The stretch, which is an MLB record, began July 30, 2013. The right-hander is holding opponents to a .240 average overall and 204 with RISP.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Pirates to end spring in Philadelphia again, sign Stinson to minor league deal
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates weighing options with Martin
- Pirates notebook: Team wary of Polanco, Marte playing full winter season