Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Through the first 56 games, the Padres pitching staff had a 3.25 ERA, the fifth-best mark in the majors and fourth-best the NL behind the Braves (2.98), Giants (3.07) and Nationals (3.21). The Padres bullpen had a 2.30 ERA, second-best in the majors behind the Nationals (2.17). Padres relievers help opponents to a MLB-best .206 batting average.
• Padres OF Will Venable went 4 for 4 on Saturday against the White Sox. It was the first time in 726 big league games that Venable went 4 for 4 or better. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Venable's father, Max, never had a 4-for-4 or better game in his 727-game career in the majors from 1979 to 1991.
Instead of flying, the Pirates will take a two-hour bus ride to San Diego after Sunday's game vs. the Dodgers. Travel attire is a superhero/comic book theme — Clint Hurdle will wear a “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” T-shirt — with shorts and sandals encouraged.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options