Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Through the first 56 games, the Padres pitching staff had a 3.25 ERA, the fifth-best mark in the majors and fourth-best the NL behind the Braves (2.98), Giants (3.07) and Nationals (3.21). The Padres bullpen had a 2.30 ERA, second-best in the majors behind the Nationals (2.17). Padres relievers help opponents to a MLB-best .206 batting average.
• Padres OF Will Venable went 4 for 4 on Saturday against the White Sox. It was the first time in 726 big league games that Venable went 4 for 4 or better. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Venable's father, Max, never had a 4-for-4 or better game in his 727-game career in the majors from 1979 to 1991.
Instead of flying, the Pirates will take a two-hour bus ride to San Diego after Sunday's game vs. the Dodgers. Travel attire is a superhero/comic book theme — Clint Hurdle will wear a “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” T-shirt — with shorts and sandals encouraged.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 26, 2015
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang