Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Through the first 56 games, the Padres pitching staff had a 3.25 ERA, the fifth-best mark in the majors and fourth-best the NL behind the Braves (2.98), Giants (3.07) and Nationals (3.21). The Padres bullpen had a 2.30 ERA, second-best in the majors behind the Nationals (2.17). Padres relievers help opponents to a MLB-best .206 batting average.
• Padres OF Will Venable went 4 for 4 on Saturday against the White Sox. It was the first time in 726 big league games that Venable went 4 for 4 or better. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Venable's father, Max, never had a 4-for-4 or better game in his 727-game career in the majors from 1979 to 1991.
Instead of flying, the Pirates will take a two-hour bus ride to San Diego after Sunday's game vs. the Dodgers. Travel attire is a superhero/comic book theme — Clint Hurdle will wear a “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” T-shirt — with shorts and sandals encouraged.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team