Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Through the first 56 games, the Padres pitching staff had a 3.25 ERA, the fifth-best mark in the majors and fourth-best the NL behind the Braves (2.98), Giants (3.07) and Nationals (3.21). The Padres bullpen had a 2.30 ERA, second-best in the majors behind the Nationals (2.17). Padres relievers help opponents to a MLB-best .206 batting average.
• Padres OF Will Venable went 4 for 4 on Saturday against the White Sox. It was the first time in 726 big league games that Venable went 4 for 4 or better. According to Elias Sports Bureau, Venable's father, Max, never had a 4-for-4 or better game in his 727-game career in the majors from 1979 to 1991.
Instead of flying, the Pirates will take a two-hour bus ride to San Diego after Sunday's game vs. the Dodgers. Travel attire is a superhero/comic book theme — Clint Hurdle will wear a “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” T-shirt — with shorts and sandals encouraged.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo