Dodgers lineup killing opposing pitchers softly
In the midst of a three-city, 10-game road trip, the Pirates' beleaguered pitching staff must contend with the Dodgers' high-priced — and high-powered — lineup. Los Angeles leads the National League in scoring this month and has plated the seventh-most runs in the majors in 2014.
If the Pirates are to silence the bats of Yasiel Puig, Adrian Gonzalez and Hanley Ramirez, among others, they'll have to spot their secondary pitches. No team taking swings at sea level is doing more damage against breaking and off-speed stuff.
Dodgers hitters are a collective 26 runs above average versus curveballs, sliders and changeups, trailing just the Colorado Rockies among MLB clubs. Puig (10 runs above average against non-fastballs), Ramirez (+9.1) and Gonzalez (+4.5) are throttling pitchers who serve them soft stuff. Andre Ethier (+1.4), Juan Uribe (+1.2) and Dee Gordon (+1) aren't slouches, either.
Team RAA vs. non-fastballs
Blue Jays +17.9
Pirates pitchers might be best trying to overpower L.A.'s lineup. While the Dodgers are crushing breaking and off-speed pitches, they're 25th in the majors against fastballs (-12.8 runs).
Opponents have taken notice, feeding them the game's highest rate of heaters (62.6 percent). Puig (+14 runs versus fastballs) and Matt Kemp (+4.9) won't be bothered by a fastball-first approach, but Uribe (-1.2) and Ramirez (-5.3) are scuffling.
Brandon Cumpton, Saturday's scheduled starter, could take advantage of L.A.'s fastball woes. He has tossed about 70 percent heaters during his short career with great results (six runs above average).
Friday starter Francisco Liriano (-8.8 runs) and Sunday starter Edinson Volquez (-1.2), by contrast, are getting hit hard on fastballs. Liriano will try to induce chases with his changeup (+4.2 runs), while Volquez better have his plus curveball (+2.4).
David Golebiewski is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins