MLB notebook: Cruz hit by pitch, leaves game
• Orioles outfielder Nelson Cruz left Sunday's game against the Astros with a bruised left hand after being hit by a pitch in the third inning. Cruz entered the game hitting .315 and has a major league-leading 20 homers and 52 RBIs. Cruz was hit by Scott Feldman on the side of his left hand in the third inning. He remained in the game before he was replaced in right field for the bottom of the third inning. The team said X-rays were negative and he is listed as day-to-day.
• A.J. Pollock will have surgery on his fractured right hand in the next few days and Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson expects the young outfielder to be sidelined approximately five to eight weeks. Gibson, speaking before Sunday's game against the Reds, said that timetable was just a guess. The Diamondbacks placed Pollock on the 15-day disabled list and purchased the contract of outfielder David Peralta from Double-A Mobile. Peralta was in the Arizona lineup in left field for his major league debut. Pollock, in his second full season in the majors, was hit in the hand by the Reds' Johnny Cueto in the eighth inning of Saturday's loss.
• Giants first baseman Michael Morse was scratched from the lineup after fouling a ball off his left foot during batting practice. Morse was replaced in the lineup against the Cardinals by Joaquin Arias. Morse is hitting .295 with 11 home runs and 38 RBIs.
• The Rays placed right fielder Wil Myers on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained his right wrist. Myers was injured on the final play of a Friday loss to the Red Sox when his hand slapped the ground as he landed following a collision with center fielder Desmond Jennings.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal