Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Going into Tuesday's game, Pirates pitchers had notched double-digit strikeout totals in three straight and five of the previous eight games against the Padres, going back to the start of last season. In two career starts against San Diego, LHP Francisco Liriano amassed 21 strikeouts in 14 innings pitched. In his career, Liriano averages 9.1 strikeouts per nine innings pitched.
• Through 27 games at Petco Park, Padres OF Seth Smith has posted a .376/.468/.667 slash line, the sixth-best batting average, fourth-best OBP and seventh-best slugging percentage in home games in the majors. Over his career, Smith is a .337 hitter at Petco Park, the third-best mark in the park's history behind Shawn Green (.377) and Todd Helton (.338).
The Padres on Tuesday called up LHP Jason Lane, whose last appearance in the big leagues was in 2007 as an OF. Lane converted to a pitcher while in the minors in 2009. Lane, 37, went 26-15 with a 3.88 ERA in 85 games (51 starts) in the farm systems of the Blue Jays, Marlins, Diamondbacks and Padres. He also played independent league ball with Southern Maryland (2010) and Sugar Land (2012 and 2013).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Gameday: Pirates at Cardinals, September 5, 2015
- Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen takes NL Player of the Month for 4th time
- Locke struggles again early, Pirates lose again in Milwaukee
- Pirates, Marlins in talks to play 2016 game in Puerto Rico
- Snider happy to return to new role with Pirates
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Left-side lineup intrigue continues
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015