Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Going into Tuesday's game, Pirates pitchers had notched double-digit strikeout totals in three straight and five of the previous eight games against the Padres, going back to the start of last season. In two career starts against San Diego, LHP Francisco Liriano amassed 21 strikeouts in 14 innings pitched. In his career, Liriano averages 9.1 strikeouts per nine innings pitched.
• Through 27 games at Petco Park, Padres OF Seth Smith has posted a .376/.468/.667 slash line, the sixth-best batting average, fourth-best OBP and seventh-best slugging percentage in home games in the majors. Over his career, Smith is a .337 hitter at Petco Park, the third-best mark in the park's history behind Shawn Green (.377) and Todd Helton (.338).
The Padres on Tuesday called up LHP Jason Lane, whose last appearance in the big leagues was in 2007 as an OF. Lane converted to a pitcher while in the minors in 2009. Lane, 37, went 26-15 with a 3.88 ERA in 85 games (51 starts) in the farm systems of the Blue Jays, Marlins, Diamondbacks and Padres. He also played independent league ball with Southern Maryland (2010) and Sugar Land (2012 and 2013).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs