Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Going into Tuesday's game, Pirates pitchers had notched double-digit strikeout totals in three straight and five of the previous eight games against the Padres, going back to the start of last season. In two career starts against San Diego, LHP Francisco Liriano amassed 21 strikeouts in 14 innings pitched. In his career, Liriano averages 9.1 strikeouts per nine innings pitched.
• Through 27 games at Petco Park, Padres OF Seth Smith has posted a .376/.468/.667 slash line, the sixth-best batting average, fourth-best OBP and seventh-best slugging percentage in home games in the majors. Over his career, Smith is a .337 hitter at Petco Park, the third-best mark in the park's history behind Shawn Green (.377) and Todd Helton (.338).
The Padres on Tuesday called up LHP Jason Lane, whose last appearance in the big leagues was in 2007 as an OF. Lane converted to a pitcher while in the minors in 2009. Lane, 37, went 26-15 with a 3.88 ERA in 85 games (51 starts) in the farm systems of the Blue Jays, Marlins, Diamondbacks and Padres. He also played independent league ball with Southern Maryland (2010) and Sugar Land (2012 and 2013).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Minor league report: Sadler keeps producing without the hype
- Pirates notebook: No All-Star break for Cole
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park