Wednesday's scouting report: Pirates at Padres
• Going into Tuesday's game, Pirates pitchers had notched double-digit strikeout totals in three straight and five of the previous eight games against the Padres, going back to the start of last season. In two career starts against San Diego, LHP Francisco Liriano amassed 21 strikeouts in 14 innings pitched. In his career, Liriano averages 9.1 strikeouts per nine innings pitched.
• Through 27 games at Petco Park, Padres OF Seth Smith has posted a .376/.468/.667 slash line, the sixth-best batting average, fourth-best OBP and seventh-best slugging percentage in home games in the majors. Over his career, Smith is a .337 hitter at Petco Park, the third-best mark in the park's history behind Shawn Green (.377) and Todd Helton (.338).
The Padres on Tuesday called up LHP Jason Lane, whose last appearance in the big leagues was in 2007 as an OF. Lane converted to a pitcher while in the minors in 2009. Lane, 37, went 26-15 with a 3.88 ERA in 85 games (51 starts) in the farm systems of the Blue Jays, Marlins, Diamondbacks and Padres. He also played independent league ball with Southern Maryland (2010) and Sugar Land (2012 and 2013).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mile-high edge? Hurdle knows Coors Field
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Pirates prospect Bell gets a taste of big league lifestyle
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Harrison making history as a utility player
- Pirates complete sweep of Rockies with comeback win at PNC
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade