Sunday's scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Yovani Gallardo has already started three games against the Pirates this season but has not factored in a decision. In 181⁄3 innings against the Pirates, Gallardo has allowed 14 hits, struck out 18 and has posted a 3.48 ERA. He has allowed three home runs. Gallardo has evolved to rely less on velocity and more on an assortment of offspeed pitches.
• In a departure from his career numbers, Charlie Morton has been more effective against left-handed batters this season, which is unusual since the fastball-dependent right-hander lacks a reliable changeup. Morton is holding lefties to a .212 average, righties to a .257 average. The Brewers' lineup skews heavily right-handed.
It would not be a surprise to see Starling Marte held out of the lineup for a sixth straight day Sunday as Marte is a career .188 hitter vs. Gallardo. Marte has struggled mightily this season but Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said a demotion to Triple-A is not on the table.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets