Pirates sources: Polanco to remain in Triple-A for now
Fans waiting for the Pirates to call up top prospect Gregory Polanco likely will have to wait a while longer.
On Wednesday night, two high-ranking team officials denied reports that Polanco will be promoted from Triple-A Indianapolis on Friday.
The sources, who spoke on the condition they not be identified, said the team has no plans in place to bring Polanco to Pittsburgh. The Pirates have an off day Thursday and open a three-game series against the NL Central-leading Milwaukee Brewers on Friday.
Citing sources, Tim Williams of piratesprospects.com reported via Twitter that Polanco would be called up. Minutes later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports tweeted that Polanco was on his way.
Pirates sources, however, said during the team's game against the San Diego Padres that those reports were false. Polanco was in the lineup for Indianapolis on Wednesday.
The Pirates signed the promising outfielder in 2009 for a $150,000. By 2012, Polanco had been named the organization's minor league player of the year.
Polanco, 22, is the top-rated player in the Pirates' farm system. At the start of spring training, Baseball America ranked him the 10th-best prospect in all of the minor leagues.
Entering Wednesday, Polanco led the International League with 79 hits, 42 runs, 47 RBIs. He ranked second with a .351 batting average and a .956 on-base plus slugging percentage.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole struggles as Brewers continue Miller mastery over Pirates
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 2, 2015
- Two wild-card format hurting Pirates in short term
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 1, 2015
- Rossi: Continuing legend of Pirate Ray
- No certainty for Pirates’ call-up veterans
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015