Pirates sources: Polanco to remain in Triple-A for now
Fans waiting for the Pirates to call up top prospect Gregory Polanco likely will have to wait a while longer.
On Wednesday night, two high-ranking team officials denied reports that Polanco will be promoted from Triple-A Indianapolis on Friday.
The sources, who spoke on the condition they not be identified, said the team has no plans in place to bring Polanco to Pittsburgh. The Pirates have an off day Thursday and open a three-game series against the NL Central-leading Milwaukee Brewers on Friday.
Citing sources, Tim Williams of piratesprospects.com reported via Twitter that Polanco would be called up. Minutes later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports tweeted that Polanco was on his way.
Pirates sources, however, said during the team's game against the San Diego Padres that those reports were false. Polanco was in the lineup for Indianapolis on Wednesday.
The Pirates signed the promising outfielder in 2009 for a $150,000. By 2012, Polanco had been named the organization's minor league player of the year.
Polanco, 22, is the top-rated player in the Pirates' farm system. At the start of spring training, Baseball America ranked him the 10th-best prospect in all of the minor leagues.
Entering Wednesday, Polanco led the International League with 79 hits, 42 runs, 47 RBIs. He ranked second with a .351 batting average and a .956 on-base plus slugging percentage.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Home-field advantage at stake for Pirates in wild-card scenario
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cardinals, Sept, 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs