Pirates sources: Polanco to remain in Triple-A for now
Fans waiting for the Pirates to call up top prospect Gregory Polanco likely will have to wait a while longer.
On Wednesday night, two high-ranking team officials denied reports that Polanco will be promoted from Triple-A Indianapolis on Friday.
The sources, who spoke on the condition they not be identified, said the team has no plans in place to bring Polanco to Pittsburgh. The Pirates have an off day Thursday and open a three-game series against the NL Central-leading Milwaukee Brewers on Friday.
Citing sources, Tim Williams of piratesprospects.com reported via Twitter that Polanco would be called up. Minutes later, Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports tweeted that Polanco was on his way.
Pirates sources, however, said during the team's game against the San Diego Padres that those reports were false. Polanco was in the lineup for Indianapolis on Wednesday.
The Pirates signed the promising outfielder in 2009 for a $150,000. By 2012, Polanco had been named the organization's minor league player of the year.
Polanco, 22, is the top-rated player in the Pirates' farm system. At the start of spring training, Baseball America ranked him the 10th-best prospect in all of the minor leagues.
Entering Wednesday, Polanco led the International League with 79 hits, 42 runs, 47 RBIs. He ranked second with a .351 batting average and a .956 on-base plus slugging percentage.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch