Saturday's scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Friday's game:
• Edinson Volquez's velocity increase that began in New York, with the right-hander touching 98 mph, continued to his last start when he against averaged 95 mph with his fastball at Los Angeles. With the increase in velocity has come an increase in strikeouts but can Volquez keep his improved command? Volquez will have to be careful while pitching to Carlos Gomez who has three career home runs against in 21 at bats. The Brewers have a career .770 on-base plus slugging vs. Volquez.
• Former Pirate Aramis Ramirez came off the disabled list and homered in his game back for the Brewers on Wednesday. Ramirez bolsters what is one of the most talented lineups in the National League.
Outfielder Jose Tabata might get another start Saturday in place of Starling Marte as Tabata has put up strong numbers against Brewers starter Matt Garza, batting .438 against Garza (seven hits in 16 at-bats).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown
- Nationals pound Burnett, Pirates