Monday's scouting report: Cubs at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel'sinside look at Monday's game:
• In 12 career starts vs. the Pirates, Edwin Jackson is 6-2 with a 3.63 ERA, and has gotten 49 strikeouts in 69 innings. Those figures include two no-decisions and a 6.30 ERA in his first two starts this season. Over his 12-year career, Jackson has proven to be pretty durable. He's made 30 or more starts in each of the past seven seasons, one of just eight pitchers to do so. Jackson is one of just four pitches to make 30-plus starts over seven seasons by age 30 (also: Matt Cain, Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander).
• Charlie Morton's start was pushed back a day, manager Clint Hurdle said, to let him “refine his delivery and refocus his commitment to the sinker.” Morton has been below his season-average 55 percent ground-ball rate in two of his past four starts. He's also had a BAbip in his recent outings vs. the Padres (.300), Nationals (.313), Yankees (.316) and Cardinals (.333). Last week vs. the Padres, 28 percent of Morton's pitches were curveballs, his second-highest rate all season.
Gregory Polanco went into this season with only 242 at-bats above Class A, and GM Neal Huntington wanted a larger sample size before triggering a callup. Polanco went into Sunday's action batting .350 in 243 at-bats with Triple-A Indianapolis. “In an ideal world, we'd like to get him some more plate appearances down there,” Huntington said. “What he's doing is making us feel comfortable with shortening that time frame a little bit.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates looking at ways to make McCutchen’s off days more productive
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Team interaction important to Pirates veteran pitcher Burnett