Saturday's scouting report: Pirates at Marlins
• With their two most talented pitchers (Gerrit Cole and Francisco Liriano) on the disabled list, the Pirates need Charlie Morton to continue his recent hot pitching. Morton is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA in his last two outings. Over those starts, Morton has struck out 16 in 12 innings. ... Morton never has allowed a home run to the current collection of Marlins and should be aided in continuing that streak by the deep dimensions of Marlins Park.
• The Pirates have not seen many left-handed starting pitchers this season since the NL Central is so right-handed dominant. The Pirates are 3-4 in games started by left-handers. Marlins left Randy Wolf has held current Pirates to a .229 batting average. Wolf's fastball averages just 87.6 mph, yet he throws it on more than half of his offerings.
Starling Marte entered Friday's play 8 for 16 in his last four games to snap out of an 0-for-23 snap. Marte is hitting .524 when batting sixth this year, perhaps an ideal long-term home for him in the lineup.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Nationals, July 26, 2015