Tuesday's scouting report: Reds at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Tuesday's game:
• Johnny Cueto has been a different pitcher since losing to the Pirates in the wild-card play-in game last October. He's been a dominant pitcher, striking out nearly 10 per nine innings this year while walking less than two per nine innings. Cueto already has a complete-game victory over the Pirates this season, allowing one run, and he struck out 12 in six shutout innings in his last outing against the Dodgers.
• Gregory Polanco has 12 hits in his first six major league games, and has done most of his damage against pitches lower in the strike zone. All five of his hits on Friday came against pitches at knee level. It will be interesting to see if opponents begin to elevate pitches against Polanco. Polanco has shown few holes in his swing to date, but he has often been tested high in the zone.
With Vance Worley's impressive outing, and Gerrit Cole's impending return, Jeff Locke, Brandon Cumpton and Worley are fighting for rotation spots and perhaps building quality depth.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Biertempfel: MLB right to consider ways of enhancing playoff system
- Pirates’ offense in sync during 2nd-half surge
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015