Tuesday's scouting report: Reds at Pirates
Pirates beat reporter Travis Sawchik'sinside look at Tuesday's game:
• Johnny Cueto has been a different pitcher since losing to the Pirates in the wild-card play-in game last October. He's been a dominant pitcher, striking out nearly 10 per nine innings this year while walking less than two per nine innings. Cueto already has a complete-game victory over the Pirates this season, allowing one run, and he struck out 12 in six shutout innings in his last outing against the Dodgers.
• Gregory Polanco has 12 hits in his first six major league games, and has done most of his damage against pitches lower in the strike zone. All five of his hits on Friday came against pitches at knee level. It will be interesting to see if opponents begin to elevate pitches against Polanco. Polanco has shown few holes in his swing to date, but he has often been tested high in the zone.
With Vance Worley's impressive outing, and Gerrit Cole's impending return, Jeff Locke, Brandon Cumpton and Worley are fighting for rotation spots and perhaps building quality depth.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power