Friday's scouting report: Pirates at Cubs
• With top-of-the-rotation arms Gerrit Cole and Francisco Liriano on the DL, Charlie Morton has stepped up his performance at critical time. Morton has posted back-to-back quality starts and has allowed two earned runs or fewer in five straight outings. Coinciding with Morton's improved performance is an improving ground ball rate. Morton is averaging 3.33 ground balls per fly ball in June compared to a 2.42 ratio in May and 2.06 in April.
• The enigmatic Edwin Jackson has allowed 10 runs over 10 2⁄3 innings in his past two starts. Jackson has posted his highest fly-ball rate since 2009, which can be dangerous in Wrigley Field depending upon wind conditions.
When Neil Walker returns to the lineup, possibly next week, a platoon situation could emerge at third base with Josh Harrison getting work against left-handed pitchers. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said he plans to give Harrison regular playing time, but he'll have to become creative in lineup construction.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates’ Burnett endures another poor start in blowout loss to Reds
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 31, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy