Sunday's scouting report: Pirates at Cubs
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Sunday's game:
• Cubs 3B Mike Olt has collected 10 home runs despite a .149 batting avarage. According to STATS LLC, that puts Olt on pace for the lowest-ever season batting average by a player with double-digit homers. The record-holder is White Sox DH Adam Dunn, who hit .159 with 11 homers in 2011. Of Olt's 23 hits this season, 10 have gone over the outfield wall.
• Pirates CF Andrew McCutchen went into this series with a .978 OPS, which is 67 points higher than last year (.911) when he was named MVP. In NL history, only three reigning MVPs who had at least 250 plate appearances had such a significant increase in the OPS over their award-winning season: Barry Bonds (up 144 points in 2004), Barry Larkin (up 91 points in 1996) and Mike Schmidt (up 76 points in 1981). Bonds and Schmidt repeated as MVP winners in the ensuing season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Simulated game to provide clues for Burnett return
- Rossi: Revenge is best served now by Pirates
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins