Monday's scouting report: Pirates at Rays
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Monday's game:
• Alex Cobb has not allowed an earned run in four of his nine starts this season. He's gotten only 11 runs of support in 54 1⁄3 innings pitched. If Cobb had pitched enough innings to qualify, his 1.82 runs of support per nine innings would be the lowest in the AL. Four of the runs the Rays scored for Cobb came in one game. The lowest rate of run support for a qualified pitcher in Rays history is 3.51 to Tony Saunders in 1998.
• Through Saturday, Rays pitchers led the majors with 656 strikeouts. They amassed 199 whiffs through their first 20 games this month. Among AL pitchers, David Price (133 strikeouts) ranks first, Jake Odorizzi (91) is 10th and Chris Archer (79) is tied for 18th. With 591 strikeouts, Pirates batters are in the middle of the pack in the NL. Starling Marte (80) has the eighth-most Ks in the NL and Pedro Alvarez (69) is 18th.
LF Starling Marte, who flew to the Dominican Republic Saturday morning to deal with a personal matter, is expected to rejoin the team in time for Monday night's game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Behind starter Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 27, 2015
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona