Polanco sets Pirates record for longest hitting streak to start career
Gregory Polanco knows how to make an entrance.
The prized Pirates rookie on Thursday set the club record for longest hitting streak to begin a career by recording a hit in a ninth straight game. The previous club record was an eight-game streak by Spencer Adams in 1923.
The longest hitting streak to begin a career in major league history is 17 games, set by Chuck Aleno in 1941 with the Cincinnati Reds. Pirates great Roberto Clemente began his career with a seven-game hitting streak in 1955.
“It's special. He's cleared a number of (firsts) off,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “It gives you goose bumps anytime you hear a ‘Not since Clemente,' that gets your attention.”
No Pirate had reached base Thursday against Reds starter Homer Bailey until Polanco looped a single into shallow right field in the fourth inning. Polanco also added an infield single in the fifth inning, giving him his fifth multi-hit game.
“That's exciting, I didn't even know that,” Polanco said of the record. “I feel proud.”
It's been quite a start for the Pirates' top prospect. On Friday in Miami, Polanco had a five-hit game, including a game-winning homer — the first home run of his major league career.
Polanco's speed and all-fields approach has translated to major league success. He has slashed 95-plus mph fastballs to left field, turned on hanging breaking pitches and beaten out three infield hits.
Polanco is not only living up to the hype, but he also is exceeding it.
Travis Sawchik is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Sawchik_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle, Huntington on same page
- Thinking outside box slows pace of MLB games
- Pirates pitching guru Benedict created a ‘Vanimal’ in Worley
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Minor league report: Sadler keeps producing without the hype
- Alvarez held out of starting lineup for 3rd straight game
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants