Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Rays
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Rays RHP Chris Archer has not allowed a run in five of his 15 starts, which leads the team. However, he has picked up a victory in only two of those games. In his three no-decision, no-run games, the Rays have scored a total of two runs. In his last outing, Archer checked the Astros to three hits over 62⁄3 innings en route to a 5-0 victory.
• In their past two games before the start of this series, the Rays went 9 for 21 (.429) with runners in scoring position. However, in the 20 games before that (May 31 to June 20), they batted .129 (21 for 163) with RISP. That included streaks of 0 for 34 and 0 for 21. Their .229 average with RISP this season is second lowest in the AL. The only AL club that's been less clutch with RISP is the Astros (.220).
Chelsea Baker, a 17-year-old knuckleballer on the varsity baseball team at Durant High in Plant City, Fla., threw some pitches off the mound during Rays batting practice. After she tossed her first complete game last week, Baker gave the game ball to Rays manager Joe Maddon.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Saturday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Pirates send Polanco to Triple-A Indianapolis; Tabata, Barmes return
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1