Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Rays
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel 's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Rays RHP Chris Archer has not allowed a run in five of his 15 starts, which leads the team. However, he has picked up a victory in only two of those games. In his three no-decision, no-run games, the Rays have scored a total of two runs. In his last outing, Archer checked the Astros to three hits over 62⁄3 innings en route to a 5-0 victory.
• In their past two games before the start of this series, the Rays went 9 for 21 (.429) with runners in scoring position. However, in the 20 games before that (May 31 to June 20), they batted .129 (21 for 163) with RISP. That included streaks of 0 for 34 and 0 for 21. Their .229 average with RISP this season is second lowest in the AL. The only AL club that's been less clutch with RISP is the Astros (.220).
Chelsea Baker, a 17-year-old knuckleballer on the varsity baseball team at Durant High in Plant City, Fla., threw some pitches off the mound during Rays batting practice. After she tossed her first complete game last week, Baker gave the game ball to Rays manager Joe Maddon.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Harrison’s ‘magic’ has helped to carry Pirates into MLB’s postseason
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- Scouting report: Giants at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure