Tuesday's scouting report: Pirates at Rays
Pirates beat reporter Rob Biertempfel's inside look at Tuesday's game:
• Rays RHP Chris Archer has not allowed a run in five of his 15 starts, which leads the team. However, he has picked up a victory in only two of those games. In his three no-decision, no-run games, the Rays have scored a total of two runs. In his last outing, Archer checked the Astros to three hits over 6 2⁄3 innings en route to a 5-0 victory.
• In their past two games before the start of this series, the Rays went 9 for 21 (.429) with runners in scoring position. However, in the 20 games before that (May 31 to June 20), they batted .129 (21 for 163) with RISP. That included streaks of 0 for 34 and 0 for 21. Their .229 average with RISP this season is second lowest in the AL. The only AL club that's been less clutch with RISP is the Astros (.220).
Chelsea Baker, a 17-year-old knuckleballer on the varsity baseball team at Durant High in Plant City, Fla., threw some pitches off the mound during Rays batting practice. After she tossed her first complete game last week, Baker gave the game ball to Rays manager Joe Maddon.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- Pirates minor league report: Kramer comes with power potential with short-season Black Bears
- Mercer’s walk-off hit gives Pirates 10-inning victory over Braves
- Long toss is considered valuable tool for MLB pitchers’ arm health